Search the forum,

Discuss Best NON floor fail ever in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Mate (plumber) went to strip this floor for me. Said the floor was solid and not a crack/grout split anywhere.
So he was very surprised to see how they were down, or should I say he wanted to know how easy they would come up.
Yup that is 6mm mdf they were laid on and it held up for 5 years.
I'm baffled

20160927_092937.jpg 20160927_092934.jpg 20160927_092930.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Oil tempered hardboard was often used as a base over floorboards in times of old ( late 60's - 70's) and usually fixed rough side up for grip. With the addition of ardion90 into x7 adhesive by ardurit, this combination was often flexible.

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
House was built in 2005 and that floor was tiled 5 years ago.
Funny as I had to argue with the builder that I was not tiling on 6mm ply.
Hard argument to win considering what the floor was previously tiled on.

O

One Day

I swear we totally over-think things most of the time.
For instance - my Father's place, he nailed 6mm ply down with ring shanks and expected me to tile it.
Approx 20sqm kitchen floor. It's lasted 9yrs so far with no problems. (I always look for and expect cracked grout joints at least!)

My thoughts are this: the manufacturers know/expect that 9 out of 10 tilers are idiots (i.e builders/ plumbers / diy) and I say that because I reckon if you could analyse sales and who actually installs most tiles - professional tilers account for a small percentage overall.
Knowing this, they then over-spec everything in the hope that when Bob the village-idiot-builder spot fixes tiles onto 4mm hardboard, they just might last a few years.

This whole point takes me back to the "itch" I have right now - that we need an independent fixers association who set their own standards based on common sense and collective experience.
---for the record; I would never advocate fixing onto hardboard though!

W

WetSaw

This whole point takes me back to the "itch" I have right now - that we need an independent fixers association who set their own standards based on common sense and collective experience.

I thought that was more of a chronic disease than an "itch" as you've been suffering from it for quite some time!!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I swear we totally over-think things most of the time.
For instance - my Father's place, he nailed 6mm ply down with ring shanks and expected me to tile it.
Approx 20sqm kitchen floor. It's lasted 9yrs so far with no problems. (I always look for and expect cracked grout joints at least!)

My thoughts are this: the manufacturers know/expect that 9 out of 10 tilers are idiots (i.e builders/ plumbers / diy) and I say that because I reckon if you could analyse sales and who actually installs most tiles - professional tilers account for a small percentage overall.
Knowing this, they then over-spec everything in the hope that when Bob the village-idiot-builder spot fixes tiles onto 4mm hardboard, they just might last a few years.

I tend to agree with you.
I'm ripping out an ensuite at the moment and I had to stop my bounce test of the floor for fear of falling through. At least I know why the old shower tray had a history of leaking despite a succession of plumbers wedging more and more blocks of wood under it (Old floor tiles and grout were fine though!). A day behind already - whole floor had to come up and £150 worth of timber and ply needed to strengthen. Wall tiles were a pain to remove and took off loads of plaster with them despite being fixed to painted lining paper

Reply to Best NON floor fail ever in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen