Discuss Best adhesive for terracotta wall tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dumbo

Hi all,

I'm a keen DIYer and about to embark on my first major tiling job, I've done a few bits and pieces before but nothing on this scale. I'll be tiling our kitchen & utility room between the worktops and wall units with terracotta tiles (Mexican glazed "Talavera" tiles, 4"x4") and I'm looking for some advice on the best adhesive to use.
I'd prefer to use a tub of ready mixed stuff (one less thing to worry about) and the choice of products & brands is endless. Is BAL Grip Plus better suited for my project than BAL Green Star (Topps think so, obviously) and are they both better than Mapei Buildfix which is almost half the price?!
I've done a fair bit of reading on various forums and obviously, everyone has their opinion on the best brand, I just want to make sure I use the right product for the job without paying over the odds unnecessarily!

Thanks in advance,

Leo.
Also don't use rapid set as you won't be fast enough . It will be constantly going off. Absolutely agree a proper old school wide joint floor grout will look best with these tiles and easier to get a decent finish . Also when I do these types of tiles I use a wide grout spacing about 5mm as if they are hand made the sizing between tiles is probably not going to be very accurate. 5mm is only a guide because of what I just said so some of them will have to beset by eye with a slightly different grout gap.

D

Deester

Thanks all, you've persuaded me against the tubbed adhesive approach as clearly, it isn't the best product for my choice of tiles so powder it is. Currently looking at Mapei Keraflex and found a local indie tile shop that recommended Ultra Tile ProFlex Standard S1.
Thanks for the tip on the wide joint grout too, there's no way I can get a neat 2mm gap with all the slight variations in size, I'm guessing spacers will be pointless and it's best to do things by eye...

H

hmtiling

Thanks all, you've persuaded me against the tubbed adhesive approach as clearly, it isn't the best product for my choice of tiles so powder it is. Currently looking at Mapei Keraflex and found a local indie tile shop that recommended Ultra Tile ProFlex Standard S1.
Thanks for the tip on the wide joint grout too, there's no way I can get a neat 2mm gap with all the slight variations in size, I'm guessing spacers will be pointless and it's best to do things by eye...
the ultra stuff is good and defo do it by eye

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
You won't go wrong with ProFlex, their grouts are also excellent. Make sure you prime the walls and if the tiles are dusty on the back, terracotta often is, it's best practice to give them a scrape of adhesive. You should also be able to get the complementary silicones for finishing the corners and worktops.
Best of luck with it.

D

Deester

Well, it's taken me a while but I've finished the biggest area (still got the opposite corner of the kitchen to do, along with the utility room). The powder adhesive was really nice to work with, more of a cement mortar kind of feel and less sticky/gloopy than the tubbed stuff, I shan't be going back! Really pleased with the finish (as is the wife!). Used two neat coats of Granfix acrylic primer on the bare plaster walls, Ultra ProFlex standard set adhesive, Palace antique white grout and LTP crackle glaze protector (a lot of the tiles had crazing).

Thanks again for the advice :)

Leo.
20161216_122528.jpg
20161216_122204.jpg

Reaction score
Good choice on the adhesive. I have just completed my own personal projects and that is the exact adhesive I used for my kitchen walls. Brilliant working time and lovely to work with.

Reply to Best adhesive for terracotta wall tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks