Discuss Bal Waterproof Plus - First Usage...... in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

p4ulo

Thought I'd do a little write-up of a new product I just used.
BAL waterproof plus.

BAL Waterproof Plus | Tiling Products | BAL Adhesives
http://www.*****************/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/BAL_Waterproof_Plus_Bucket-Topps.jpg
It comes in a huge tub, and costs a shade under £100 from TOPPS on a trade account.
(I think its a TOPPS exclusive product)

Anyway, you get 2 pouring 2.5l containers of liquid, 2 bags of 2.5kg powder, a roll of scrim tape and a scraper.

It gives you enough to treat 2 1m x 1m shower cubicles (3 walls) or probably 1 whole wetroom? (not sure on this, I did 2 showers easily)

The mixing is fairly straight forward, but as you have to mix half of it at a time, between coats, it might be better to give you 4 bags of powder. It was easy to mark up the liquid, I measured the side of the container (16cm) and divided it by 4 to give 4 4cm depths so I could pour out quarters at a time.

Really easy to mix if you follow the instructions and use an electric mixer, it does come out rather runny!

Spreading it on is a doddle, initially I was using the spreader in the kit, by the second shower I was using a plasterers trowel to spread it nice and quickly. Covers really well, dries very rapidly, and leaves you with a very gorgeous looking matt black grippy surface.
Customer liked it so much she asked if I could leave the shower area like it! (she was joking I hope!)

Anyway, thumbs up from me. Its filthy stuff, so deffo mask up any shower trays or taps, and wear gloves!

This is the sexy surface you end up with, grippy and smooth.
full

full

I

Ian

Being from BAL I've no doubt it will be a great product, however that price from Topps is ludicrous, twice the price of Ardex WPC for the same quantity. Nice review by the way, thanks for taking the time to do it.

P

p4ulo

Yes @Bri , it did feel rather pricey. I could justify it because I got 2 bathrooms done with it, if you were buying it per job it would be a big hit!

O

One Day

try bal's Tank-it. it will make the bucket that the topps version comes in look rather expensive! :eek:

O

One Day

They've discontinued making it I think (I used to love that stuff, piece of p@#s to paint on!!)
no, still available but not from Topps! are you thinking of the old tanking kit? this one is bag and bottle and suitable for total immersion unlike ardex wp. very very good kit but trade only.

S

StevieBoy

Yes @Bri , it did feel rather pricey. I could justify it because I got 2 bathrooms done with it, if you were buying it per job it would be a big hit!

I think £100 to virtually guarantee no water ingress is a small price to pay.

So surely £100 on this is cheaper than things going wrong later down the line.

Reaction score
Good post. apart from the colour Is it any better than bal Wp1.
Will stick with ardex as I love it and getting it for less than £50 now.

O

One Day

QUOTE="StevieBoy, post: 796145, member: 39110"]I think £100 to virtually guarantee no water ingress is a small price to pay.

So surely £100 on this is cheaper than things going wrong later down the line.[/QUOTE]there are many types of waterproofing solutions out there. Most will do what they say IF and only IF they are used 100% correctly. Price in my opinion is more related to warranty and ease of application than performance necessarily..

Reply to Bal Waterproof Plus - First Usage...... in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks