Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss bal rapid set flexi fibre onto ply......... in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Any way Merry Christmas to you all ive been working my wotsits off while you have all found time to spend on here mmmmmmmm very strange dont understand all theese great tilers that spend most of there time on here,can only get on at night,must be doing something right believe it or not lol

D

Deleted member 49260

Any way Merry Christmas to you all ive been working my wotsits off while you have all found time to spend on here mmmmmmmm very strange dont understand all theese great tilers that spend most of there time on here,can only get on at night,must be doing something right believe it or not lol

Modern methods are quicker, so they finish earlier?
<legs it donning nomex suit>

L

LM

Not many fish biting tonight,mmmmm must all be busy
Brian I kinda get where you’re coming from because for years we did things that worked just fine and made sense. One problem we have here with this situation imo is that not everybody is doing things by the tried and tested methods of old. One of the biggest culprits is the manufacturers of the ply sheets we are offered to work with. They simply aren’t what they used to be. The quality of ply by and large now can’t be compared to the ply that would have been the bedrock of the construction industry whilst I was a tea boy. Taking that into account the substandard material that we now have on offer to us we have to evaluate it and consider if it is in fact the best option and to be frank nowadays it’s not. In years gone by I successfully tiled onto ply, as it WAS the best option, now due to penny pinching, technological advancements and market forces the general quality of the ‘ plywood’ that’s on offer today falls a long way short of its predecessor.
So on that note I have to reccomend that we no longer consider plywood to be the best or cheapest soloition as a substrate to tile upon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

Not many fish biting tonight,mmmmm must all be busy

200.gif

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Brian I kinda get where you’re coming from because for years we did things that worked just fine and made sense. One problem we have here with this situation imo is that not everybody is doing things by the tried and tested methods of old. One of the biggest culprits is the manufacturers of the ply sheets we are offered to work with. They simply aren’t what they used to be. The quality of ply by and large now can’t be compared to the ply that would have been the bedrock of the construction industry whilst I was a tea boy. Taking that into account the substandard material that we now have on offer to us we have to evaluate it and consider if it is in fact the best option and to be frank nowadays it’s not. In years gone by I successfully tiled onto ply, as it WAS the best option, now due to penny pinching, technological advancements and market forces the general quality of the ‘ plywood’ that’s on offer today falls a long way short of its predecessor.
So on that note I have to reccomend that we no longer consider plywood to be the best or cheapest soloition as a substrate to tile upon.
great post well put,but i know people on here think I'm stuck in the dark ages but believe me i wouldn't use anything in any customers house that i wouldn't use in my own home and most of my ground floor is tiled on ply ,good quality ply good quality adhesive and grout dont get me wrong i have used backer board also i dont have a problem either way but what i do object to is these know all know nothings telling me and good money paying customers that no you cannot do it like i say yours is a great post,i will await now the tirade of abuse lol

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't think anyone is saying you can't tile to ply Brian, of course you can, all were saying is there are better products out there to tile to rather than ply..
And as we're a tile forum then it's good practice to recommend the best products available....
Now if your argument was ply is a better product to use than cement boards, then I would have to say your wrong.
As always it's nice to have different views on any subject, and anyone reading the many replies can then make a more informed decision how to proceed with there project..

Last edited:

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Another nicer way of putting things Andy Allen,great post nice to be nice about things,Mery Christmas, and the ply be with you lol,hoping we are all busy in the new year,by the way that fexi fibre is fantastic stuff and i always prime

O

One Day

If you tile onto plywood these days, you either have to use flooring grade SP101 or you have to have your head checked!
There is NO decent ply out there anymore. It's totally rubbish with paper thin veneers on the surfaces. Hence the reason for the introduction of SP101 graded ply.

S

scottie

here is a reply o got from the BLA ask an expert form when i asked about priming before using Bal rapid set flexi fibre on ply

"Thank you for your recent enquiry sent in via our Ask an Expert facility. For reference, please find attached our technical note on Tiling to Timber Floors. With regards to the priming of plywood floors, there is no need to prime the surface prior to using the adhesive. However, it will not be detrimental if the upper surface is primed with an acrylic primer, such as BAL Prime APD, ensuring a good bond has formed to the plywood."

:)

Reply to bal rapid set flexi fibre onto ply......... in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks