Search the forum,

Discuss aquapanels/hardiebacker/cement boards are cancerous in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gas-man

hi everyone popped over from the plumbing forum with this frightening info i have copied the post i put there

[h=2]
icon1.png
aqua panels cancerous silicate fibers[/h]
aqua panels or cement board typically used in showers prior to tiling been on a job today where the other 2 were doing a bathroom refit and using cement board they came with a big warning label saying cutting/drilling of them releases silicate fibers and can cause silicosis and lung cancer i think miners can get silicosis on the lungs and its often fatal how the hell can a product as dangerous as asbestos be allowed to be used in this day and age putting our lives at risk?​

O

One Day

I've been highlighting this for ages.

Many will claim it's fine. As long as......
Full ppe is worn. Cut as per instructions blah, blah, blah.
They have also said (or implied) that as silicone is the most abundant element on earth that it can't POSSIBLY be harmful!

IMO it carries the potential (like asbestos) for causing harm.
Like asbestos though, it's not going to kill you if used and handled correctly.

I won't use it anymore. I started using kerdi-boards for walls and marmox or ply for floors.

Big business tells big lies and will happily kill us all for profit. They've been doing it for centuries.

W

White Room

Hi and welcome gas-man..

Good point, i know it will be in the future these deseases will come to light, even though the warnings are already there..

bobbynz

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've been highlighting this for ages.

Many will claim it's fine. As long as......
Full ppe is worn. Cut as per instructions blah, blah, blah.
They have also said (or implied) that as silicone is the most abundant element on earth that it can't POSSIBLY be harmful!
IMO it carries the potential (like asbestos) for causing harm.
Like asbestos though, it's not going to kill you if used and handled correctly.

I won't use it anymore. I started using kerdi-boards for walls and marmox or ply for floors.

Big business tells big lies and will happily kill us all for profit. They've been doing it for centuries.

this stuff is still being used here in nz and its called slate and tile underlay. i have used it for years until a few years ago when i began getting a heavy chest and found out i had this silicosis. it is horrible i felt like i was a 4 pack a day smoker and it lasted for about 6 weeks coughing up all sorts of ...... since then i started using an american product we have now called easyboard from custom building prod. 9mm walls and 6mm floors and a tenth of weight and no dust cuts with knife.lightweight material has come to be quite popular. i recommend using a really good dustmask or respirator if you are going to saw or drill this stuff. or use a manual cutter. nasty stuff:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
P

PHG Dave

This is why Hardibacker only suggest using their scoring tools so that you do not create the fine dust particles that you would if you cut or grind it

R

Rich

Mad isnt it, this is all in the paper work for the product but everything is so covered in warnings that the first thing you think is "rubbish! Im sure it will be alright".

I make a point of cutting the stuff outside and with the best dusk mask I can buy. Just hope thats enough.

T

TAS25

I use a knife to cut cement board. Sometimes to cut shower roughins I do use a drill bit for. Thanks for the warning. Where im from most tile setters use cement board because wedi board or kerdi board isnt that available. Whats the price difference anyway?

G

Gazebo

Good point gas man and one that shouldn't be avoided, i have just overboarded a small floor with hardibacker 6mm flooring boards and used the scoring tool which i bought the last time I installed hardi.

The Silica warning is quite clear on the underside of the board and rec are there for installers. Still a worry though.

I also found that the dedicated hardibacker screws and screw bit were useless at pulling the screws flush with the board. screws kept rounding and a 10 minute job turned into a 30 minute job. arrraghhh.

I might stick with ply in future (unless wet room then i will use marmox)

p.s. Topps have just started advertising 15mm in 1200mmx 800mm size. quite handy to know.

Reply to aquapanels/hardiebacker/cement boards are cancerous in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen