Search the forum,

Discuss Anhydrite Screed - Builder Nightmare - Which Hygrometer in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
Should have walked into a job that was left"perfect" by the customers builder on Monday but its gone to pot.

Long story short its been down for 6 weeks but the Laitance had not been removed. Builder had no idea what it was. Has done loads of these floors apparently.
Also two substrates (old house and new extension) meet each other. The Anhydrite was not bought up to the same level as the old substate so he has used cement based SLC up to 15mm / 16mm in places. Not that this made it anything close to level.

All SLC around 45m2 was pulled up by hand much to the customers disbelief.

I am tackling this in stages as the customer will be claiming back costs from the builder.

I am after a Hygrometer as mine is not very good and reads over the limit if someone farts in the next room.

This has been recommended on another thread but I am wondering if everyone is agreed on this.

ELS Digital Thermo Hygrometer « Express Liquid Screeds - http://www.expressliquidscreeds.co.uk/product/digital-thermo-hygrometer/

Is this the same: Tramex Hygrohood - Hygrometer - https://www.buybrandtools.com/acatalog/Tramex_Hygrohood_Hygrometer.html

Plenty of other issues to follow but one step at a time.

Thanks

F

Flintstone

Those are the same hygrometer yes. Sounds like it’s going to be a fun job for you. Bloody builders!
In stages as the customer claims money back from the builder doesn’t sound like something I would agree to but if it works for you.

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
Hi Pal

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll order one today. Any preference of which one you would recommend?

Sorry that came across wrong. I mean I will be tackling the problems in stages not that the customer will be claiming back the cost in stages. This week has been a right off so the customer is claiming back my cost as it should have been good to go.

There are serval issues which might cause me to walk away from this job but its a big finical hit as I have turned away a lot of work while this has been booked in. I had it in the diary as 4 weeks.

This is a bigger job than I normally take on and my first experience with C/S screed.

Problems are new screed and old substate are different levels 15mm at highest point. 9 inch brick between old and new substrate. Floor is almost 13 meters at longest point by 6m.

Its keeping me awake at night but learnt a lot about S/C screed in the last couple of days.

O

One Day

Don't pay £80 - £150 for one!
You can buy the exact same unit on eBay and make your own boxes from Wedi board and 610 adhesive.
I'll link you up asap....

F

Flintstone

You can get gypsum based levelling compounds to sort that out. Expansion joint neeed within that 13m length

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
You can get gypsum based levelling compounds to sort that out. Expansion joint neeed within that 13m length

I was thinking of Arditex CL for the SLC. Would you agree? The tap is yet to be installed so 2 part works well.

I will upload a picture of what I mean by the two different substrates being divided by brick. Its not shown in the picture but it curves round to all the way to the wall. Where is curves round is around 6m into the room so I can use Schluter Dilex Ex (any other recommendations are welcome) expansion strip across the entire room. I am not overly sure of what to do with the expansion joint where you can see the bricks.

Picture was before the SLC was taken up.

IMG_8708.JPG

D

Dumbo

Hi Pal

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll order one today. Any preference of which one you would recommend?

Sorry that came across wrong. I mean I will be tackling the problems in stages not that the customer will be claiming back the cost in stages. This week has been a right off so the customer is claiming back my cost as it should have been good to go.

There are serval issues which might cause me to walk away from this job but its a big finical hit as I have turned away a lot of work while this has been booked in. I had it in the diary as 4 weeks.

This is a bigger job than I normally take on and my first experience with C/S screed.

Problems are new screed and old substate are different levels 15mm at highest point. 9 inch brick between old and new substrate. Floor is almost 13 meters at longest point by 6m.

Its keeping me awake at night but learnt a lot about S/C screed in the last couple of days.
If it is keeping you awake at night walk away .its not worth it , I'm not saying never do anything like this just maybe when you've got more experience .

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
If it is keeping you awake at night walk away .its not worth it , I'm not saying never do anything like this just maybe when you've got more experience .

Cheers Pal. Its keeping me up as Im going through all the different options at night. Im 4 years in and have a good rep and customer base. I just want to make sure its been done right.

I don't want to shy away from a problem. How else do yo build your experience.

I know what you mean though.

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
I’m glad it’s not my job!

Its a dogs dinner.

Any ideas? A soft joint won't be enough but anything else will look terrible. How do people get round this. Extensions being built next to existing substrate is a common thing.

Its also 80 x 80 tiles just to add a bit more of an edge to this job.

F

Flintstone

I’m not sure why there is a corse of bricks in the floor still. Is it an option to get the whole floor nice and level, then ditra the whole thing and just put your expansion joint in within the 13m length? Unless it has any ufh in this screed ?

Reply to Anhydrite Screed - Builder Nightmare - Which Hygrometer in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen