Search the forum,

Discuss Anhydrite moisture testing, putting some ideas to you Trusted People in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

Hiya me again, and guess what it's Anydrite again, but i'm hoping something positive.
As we all know i've been asking lots of people lots of questions on all aspects of this flooring to try and get some kinda satisfactory answers and systems in place for us all.

Now, a question to you all, be honest, i'm just brainstorming at the mo.
We all know that apart from the adhesive issues, that another issue is moisture testing.

SirAmic and I have been doing battle with a F Ball hood Hygrometer, and after probing more people these boys didn't get much of a thumbs up.

This is a British Standard method of testing the floors as is the Carbide Bomb test. Many surveyers (mainly abroad) favour the method where a probe is drilled into the floor (there are ways of voiding underfloor heating pipes), and the moisture content of the screed itself is measured, this is not BS standard for tiles but was passed for wood last year, so it may become a standard for tiles too.
So if a third party was available to go into a clients house/project and conduct a moisture test using the above methods plus a more general method that would test the floor as a larger area, would you guys be interested in this?????
If a survey could be done on an average floor in about an hour and included a Carbide Bomb test to meet BS what would you think either you or the customer should pay for such a service? Bearing in mind i've heard talk of a guy charging £1000 for a Carbide Bomb test!!!!
The longer tests such as the 'Hood' Test and the in situ probes obviously would be carried out over a series of days, but would give more accurate results. What do you think would be a fair price for these??

G

Gazzer

Re: Anhydrite moisture testing, putting some ideas to you Trusted Peop

i was told the carbide bomb test was around the £300 mark.

B

bugs183

I've heard £300's about the average cost for that test.
If you added up the hours faff you've had chasing the hygrometer for readings, what do you think its cost you???

T

The D

I’m not going to pay zip and I would be pizzed as a consumer to have to pay £300.00 to find out if my floor is dry.

B

bugs183

It's a very good point Deano, but there is no other way of knowing if these floors are dry without testing.
As tilers we've got away with not testing concrete screeds for years, but these aint going away and if they are too wet then they will fail.
And that could cost loads more than some tests.
THe trouble is you could pay £300 and find it isn't dry, then you have to get the floor tested again at a later date.

B

bugs183

Do you all think it's the screeders job to sand and test the floor???

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Do you all think it's the screeders job to sand and test the floor???

Thats a good question Bugs. Does the joiner sand all the woodwork before the decorator paints?

T

The D

I have no problem with sanding the floors but I do not want the responsibilaty of of testing the floor or recommending the system and products to compleat a guaranteed installation.

P

Pebbs

For me, yes I would pay, or rather make it a pre-lim in my contract that the substrate is tested before the works can commence. So for commercial contracts this is the way forward as far as I am concerned. I don't want the responsibility of testing it, we have enough to do already. So yes get someone in to do the tests and give the ok or not as the case may be.

Lynn

Reply to Anhydrite moisture testing, putting some ideas to you Trusted People in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen