Search the forum,

Discuss Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jane

Hi every one I have some questions - hope you can help as this is the biggest job Ive ever done - want to get it just right.
I have Victorian flat conversion on a busy main road in London - flat shakes occasionally. It has wobbly wooden floorboards.
I want to lay a large white tile (poss 60 x 60) through the reception, hall, stairs bedroom and living area (18 stairs) and am also considering underfloor heating in the walked on areas only - this will complement the radiators. Its approx 50sq m total.
I have two dogs who are often muddy and teenage kids who can be loud and drop things.
Im thinking to use 18mm ply with porcelain tiles and waterproof grout? Does that sound like a good choice, any thoughts on any better tile than porcelain or better idea for prep flooring would be really welcome.
Also how much adhesive and grout do I need for 50sq m?
Thanks very much!!

J

jane

Re: Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house

oops maybe I should have asked about the prep in a different thread. Sorry.

A

aph257

Re: Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house

TBO get a professional tiler in.

D

DHTiling

Hello jane and welcome.. i have moved your thread to the tiling forum.

You must make sure you can stabilise the floors to accept your choice of tile and that sized format is not for the feint hearted first timer IMO.

J

jane

Oh I am looking for a professional tiler at the moment !!! Sorry I should have been clearer... its just Im getting all sorts of advice from shops and on line articles and I just wanted to be sure that what I am looking to do is reasonable and practical as sometimes shops / tradesmen very efficiently provide exactly what you ask for (!).... but I may not be asking for the right things... so Im trying to research as much as I can in advance..
(I know this wont be cheap and its all my savings!)

I want to know what I need to ask shops/ tilers for so as not to waste anyones time. I want a really good job, not cutting corners but naturally Im still looking for value. Im presuming porcelain is best from what Ive read and that underfloor heating can be put in walk through areas... but I dont really know from a professional POV. Also I dont know if my (occasionally) shaky house is suitable for large tiles.
Once I know what is the best option, i can source it. Hope that helps clarify.

W

White Room

Are you living next to the north or south circular roads, just a guess or similar which are relentless for heavy goods vehicles all day long.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

white tiles with mucky dogs and kids will be hard to keep clean

J

jane

Not that bad!!! Its the A219 - but my windows sometimes shake and new cracks appear every few years!! Top floor flat.

D

Deleted member 9966

white tiles with mucky dogs and kids will be hard to keep clean

but at least you'll be able to see when they're dirty tho :yesnod:

J

jane

small sausage dogs with black hair(?) and teenagers who are more noisy than muddy!!!

H

hillhead

This sounds like a mighty task taking into account strengthening the floor, insulation boards, UFH, levelling, decoupling, expansion joints etc.
Possible nice job for someone and with White polished porcelain maybe it should turn out class. Mmm

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

small sausage dogs....i love them you never see them anymore

W

White Room

Not that bad!!! Its the A219 - but my windows sometimes shake and new cracks appear every few years!! Top floor flat.

If you do tile in your flat check with landlords about sound regs, you would need some sound proofing on the floor..

You may have the neighbours complaining about noise levels and as you described a couple children and a dog running up and down the hallway will travel down to the flat below.

Del W

TF
Arms
Reaction score

If Dave cant put you onto a pro tiler in your area,get plenty of advice/estimates from local tilers,you'll get everything from no problem to very difficult/costly,because of what you want. This is a great site to double check what you're being told.Good luck.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

tiling stairs sounds like a lot of hard work,ive tiled stairs before but pre cast concrete.

is it possible to tile wooden stairs?(im assuming there wooden,in a old victorian house), how would you strenthen them,to stop them moving,bouncing,wouldent like to do it myself,the halls and bedrooms and landings would be fine IMO,with the right prep,but i would find another option if possible.
im prob wrong,the wife always says i am,so some of these nice chaps may know a good method of doing them

Last edited:

Reply to Advice re hard wearing and practical white floor tile for wobbly Victorian house? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen