Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles. in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

J Sid

how do u know the correct slc was used, adhesive was used.?
yes the ply is wrong, but may not be the cause of failure at the stage

D

Dumbo

how do u know the correct slc was used, adhesive was used.?
yes the ply is wrong, but may not be the cause of failure at the stage
To be honest you are correct but where I shop they only sell flex adhesive and levelling suitable for timber , ufh installations so yes I am making assumptions
My guess when they say change adhesive they are going to move to an s2 which probably still won't be good enough if the prep is wrong

J

J Sid

sadly we can't assume anything...... I've got a 100m2 floor onto ufh with a sub base of floor boards starting on Monday. I price for all the work but the electrician talked the customer into letting him do it as he will give a 25 year guarantee on his work. I've told him how I want the preparation done so I can tile it. He said the insulation boards don't need glueing or tapeing, the floor boards don't need screwing down first. What should I do? assume his method will be ok?

D

Dumbo

sadly we can't assume anything...... I've got a 100m2 floor onto ufh with a sub base of floor boards starting on Monday. I price for all the work but the electrician talked the customer into letting him do it as he will give a 25 year guarantee on his work. I've told him how I want the preparation done so I can tile it. He said the insulation boards don't need glueing or tapeing, the floor boards don't need screwing down first. What should I do? assume his method will be ok?
Don't really know what to say apart from no and leg it

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Plenty of people using ply still, only today at a builders merchants I saw a tiler in a shiny new van loading up sheets of 6mm ply, heard them talking words to effect of get this down this morning etc.
They had a Dewalt nailer aswell.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Plenty of people using ply still, only today at a builders merchants I saw a tiler in a shiny new van loading up sheets of 6mm ply, heard them talking words to effect of get this down this morning etc.
They had a Dewalt nailer aswell.
I happen to be one of them tilers that still tiles on ply but not on 6mm (you might as well put cardboard down) surprising how many builders merchants sell it for floor tiling i always refuse ,i have never had a problem with the right thickness as long as it is laid correctly and the right adhesive and grout is used = no problems

W

Waluigi

Thinking about it. If I wanted to go and buy some ply for tiling tomorrow, I’d go and visit carpets and flooring in Camberley branch and buy some SP101. The only problem is that I think the thickest they stock is 9mm so I’d travel up the road to Buy some marine ply from Selco. Just checked. They only do 18mm and that’s £84 per sheet. I’ll stick with a TBB.

Reply to Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles. in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen