Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed on tanking wall-to-ceiling and wall-to-shower tray joints in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Planning to tank my en-suite tomorrow, using the BAL WP1 waterproofing kit. The ceiling is existing painted plasterboard. Do I need to tape and treat the joints between wall and ceiling like I do for the corners?

My gut says no, as the WP1 can't be painted on etc after. Presumably if I don't tank them, then I can just finish with sealant to match the paint? I know some just caulk too.

Just checking I'm not making a daft decision!

Also, where the bottom of the wall meets the shower tray, do I waterproof that joint? I'm assuming if I do that half of the tape will overlap down onto the shower tray for the time being, with WP1 just being applied to the walls and not the tray itself. Then presumably I just cut the tape away after tiling?? Some advice on how you go about waterproofing that joint would be much appreciate!

F

Flintstone

Your right about the ceiling, as long as you tank to the shower head that's enough. Sealing to the tray is a debatable thiing, some do exactly as you have said as I do myself when I need to, but I prefer tanking before the tray goes in when possible or even if the tray is in but not siliconed I will tape the tray up and tank below the tray Line give it a good deal with silicone after .

G

GoneGuy

Same as @Localtiler.
You could always mark where edge of tile sits on tray and use masking tape to protect rest of tray from paint and drips

W

Waluigi

Personally I don’t tape the wall to tray joint. I’ll tank and then silicone on top of the tanking

If you can, tank the wall first you then bond the tray to the tanked wall with clear silicone. Clear sticks better than white or coloured.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all, amazingly useful as usual. I’ve already sealed between bottom of the wall and the tray itself, so will have to tank over that. Planning to use masking tape to assist with how far onto the tray I go as suggested.

W

Waluigi

Bal might’ve changed the formula since I last used it but I specifically remember them saying that their tanking won’t stick to silicone. This is going back many years though.

Reaction score
Hmm, I’ve got a dilemma then. I’ve alresdy siliconed between the tray and the bottom of the wall. Do you suggest I remove this silicone and replace with something else than I *can* tank (caulk??), or should I just apply the tanking to the wall only for now and rely on the silicone underneath as a water barrier (note that this will be behind tiles and a further line of sealant between bottom of tiles and the tray).

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’d just tank down to the tray , not a fan of rapping the tape over the tray , I can peel any spilled tanking off a tray with ease , so imo sticking the tape on the tray is a weaker joint than silicone ,silicone is harder to peel off , tanking is made to protect the substrate in a shower area, whereas in a wet room it’s to stop leaks .
I’m sure some will disagree with me ;)
(That’s when I tank ;) )

Reply to Advice needed on tanking wall-to-ceiling and wall-to-shower tray joints in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen