Currently reading:
Adhesive spread direction

Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive spread direction in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

You say tomayta ... I say tomatoe...lol
If you back butter them ...They will bond irrespectively...

But if you trowel adhesive on the floor length ways when laying long planks you run the risk of trapping air in the ribs of adhesive, potentially leading to reduced bed coverage and voids. Yes they will bond, but maybe not as much as if you trowelled the adhesive the other way.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
EPSOM
Morning Plan Tec....
Excuse my naivety .. and I am always willing to take on advice... But .... Surely when a floor is serrated.. North to South.. East to West.....(Or the back of a Tile) ..Let's say with a 10mm square detail..The coverage will be 50%
When pushed/ Rubbed home .. The serrations collapse and theoretically should meet making a full bond..
I understand that when you say that serrations through the length of the tile may trap air ... But then surely that must be the case for every large format tile then, and I'm sure we don't lift every tile up to check otherwise..The next plank job I do , I will certainly put to the test though and come back with the evidence ... Be it damning or not..
Cheers:beercheers:

I

Italy

in my opinion,
now you are looking for the hairs in the egg.
we are talking about 120x20,
trapped air,
It remains a speech for large formats and that's it.
after all, I'm just an aprendist ....
and I NOT have no floor that is raised.
this is enough for me, I'm not interested in the direction of the adhesive.
(Again, I consider the answers above,
valid for large formats, example 100x50 and above)

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
EPSOM
:)
in my opinion,
now you are looking for the hairs in the egg.
we are talking about 120x20,
trapped air,
It remains a speech for large formats and that's it.
after all, I'm just an aprendist ....
and I NOT have no floor that is raised.
this is enough for me, I'm not interested in the direction of the adhesive.
(Again, I consider the answers above,
valid for large formats, example 100x50 and above)
;):eek::)

Q

Qwerty

I was referring to the question in hand here..... planks. The best way to trowel the adhesive in this situation is across the width, not length as I stated.

It stands to reason with large format, anything square or even rectangular that it is virtually irrelevant, but with a plank it is different. It is no extra effort to trowel the shorter distance and you are likely to have a better bed coverage. I only see the positives with this method I'm afraid.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Horizontal for walls...

IMG_20171217_085328.png

D

Dumbo

I was referring to the question in hand here..... planks. The best way to trowel the adhesive in this situation is across the width, not length as I stated.

It stands to reason with large format, anything square or even rectangular that it is virtually irrelevant, but with a plank it is different. It is no extra effort to trowel the shorter distance and you are likely to have a better bed coverage. I only see the positives with this method I'm afraid.
Splitting hairs I know but it would take longer to trowel several times across the width than trowelling along the length .

Q

Qwerty

Splitting hairs I know but it would take longer to trowel several times across the width than trowelling along the length .

Is it? I wouldn't know as I've never done it. To be honest I have always trowelled towards me on floors. Spreading right to left first to key it in to the surface first, then trowel towards me. Works for any substrate to fully fill voids in Ditra, key in properly to screeds etc

Q

Qwerty

Ooooo.. Sunday morning has arrived and everyone is waking to a brand new day...
Picture I found enclosed ...how would you deal with this scenario .... To drive you serrater officionados going..lol

View attachment 95566

By trowelling towards me as I always do. It's not a plank tile is it? Wood effect yes, but not a plank.
I imagine everybody else will lay these as they would lay say 60x60 or 60x30 tiles, trowelling in whichever direction they normally do!
Why, would you lay each piece into adhesive trowelled along it's length? ;):rolleyes:

Reply to Adhesive spread direction in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement