Currently reading:
Adhesive bed depth

Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive bed depth in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You shouldn't need to no. The round notches are the trowels that get the most coverage though. Somebody the other month posted a thread showing why - got a bit too technical for me. Had graphs and everything in it o_O

There's a smaller round notch trowel you could use but that's about where my skills dare to suggest. I'm not a tiler. Wait for one of the lads to reply :)

I'm 75% certain you'll need to prime the plasterboard too - cement and plaster don't go together well. Acrylic primer too not PVA which is only good for kids to play with. Again not 100%.

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the floor though?! - You grouted it yet? Are those 300 x 600 too?

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Uk
I tend to use an 8mm notched trowel on walls but I tend to dry line all my bathrooms to get walls level and flat.
No need to prime the plasterboard, the adhesive is making contact with the paper face not the gypsum. ;)

Tank the wet areas and back skim the tile, 600 x 300 need it.

Run a straight edge on your board, ideally it wants to be flat and Plumb. The less flat and Plumb it is, the bigger the problem you will have with fitting and it might tell you that the bed thickness needs to be increased. In an ideal world, aim for a 3 or 4mm bed of adhesive. I Always back butter or trowel with a 4mm trowel sometimes if I need a thicker bed.

Reply to Adhesive bed depth in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement