Search the forum,

Discuss 6mm No More Ply over floor boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you can use the same fixing method for NMP as you would use for Hardi-Backer? ie. Rapid Set Flexi, and screw to boards.

And.... How do you spread the Rapid Set? Would you use a notched trowel, or a flat trowel (i'm thinking if the boards have serious concaves)? Also, what centres would you use for the screws, and do you think 20mm screws would be enough? I'm just trying to cover all the bases before going to price up a job in the next couple of days. If the floor boards are nice and flat, i'll probably just use the NMP Adhesive...

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

R

Rich

Use the "No more ply mega stregth adhesive" Then screw down with 25mm screws. They say 8 screws per board and be carful with the adhesive, it sticks like poop to a blanket!

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Yeah i've used it with the adhesive before (on a wall), but thought there might be voids underneath if the floorboards are warped. Not sure how much of an issue that is though!?!

D

Daz

If you wedge enough of the "mega strength" addy under the boards you should be okay. The addy swells like expanding foam to fill any gaps etc..

How thick are the existing floorboards?

6mm No More ply + 18mm floorboards equals a max screw length of 24mm, to ensure no burst pipes or electrical issues :yikes:.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
If you wedge enough of the "mega strength" addy under the boards you should be okay. The addy swells like expanding foam to fill any gaps etc..

How thick are the existing floorboards?

6mm No More ply + 18mm floorboards equals a max screw length of 24mm, to ensure no burst pipes or electrical issues :yikes:.

I haven't seen the job yet to be honest.. Just wanted to get some prices together before i go round, so i can give them a rough estimate. I was gonna play safe with 20mm screws, especially as the screws will pull into the boards, so i'll probably end up with even less than 24mm, if the boards are 18mm (which i imagine they will be). :thumbsup:

N

nudge

Hardie's are/were an Ausi. Company for over 100 years old and started off selling a French product way back when. I think Officially the have now incorporated in the U.S.A. for Taxation/marketing/legal reasons etc. But i did work for them as a sales person many years ago in Oz. and it always makes me laugh when i read some of the differences in their tech notes here to over there. In there market of origin, screws are an absolute NO. NO. and ( although no one ever really uses it ) 3mm of mastic is all you need over timber floors plus there would need to be quite a few more than 8 nails even on walls - p.s. if boards have cupped a bit then hire a sander. here there site over here if your interested James Hardie :smilewinkgrin:

B

brian c

Hardie's are/were an Ausi. Company for over 100 years old and started off selling a French product way back when. I think Officially the have now incorporated in the U.S.A. for Taxation/marketing/legal reasons etc. But i did work for them as a sales person many years ago in Oz. and it always makes me laugh when i read some of the differences in their tech notes here to over there. In there market of origin, screws are an absolute NO. NO. and ( although no one ever really uses it ) 3mm of mastic is all you need over timber floors plus there would need to be quite a few more than 8 nails even on walls - p.s. if boards have cupped a bit then hire a sander. here there site over here if your interested James Hardie :smilewinkgrin:
personally i wouldnt trust MASTIC alone.

N

nudge

personally i wouldnt trust MASTIC alone.

Sorry Brian - bad wording :oops: thats should be read - instead of the 6mm spec'd over there. I takes nearly 100 nails per 1800 x 900 ( 6' x 3' ) sheet as well - but definately never - never screw down !

Reply to 6mm No More Ply over floor boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for advice laying these floor tiles. My bathroom is chipboard. I’m going to get...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen