Discuss 600x300mm/600x400mm Tile Layout in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jus001

Hello,

I'm in the process of planning a bathroom renovation and have been looking at using large format marble tiles.

I would like to use the same tiles on both walls and floor.

My inital thought was to use 610x305mm tiles but have found a couple of places that sell 600x300mm and 600x400mm tiles for significantly less.

I can't however think of a way to lay these tiles out so that everything lines up and runs through from walls to floor without each row being progressively further out due to the grout lines.

I guess the obvious thing is to trim a bit off some of them to get 600x295mm - although how easy it would be to trim 5mm off a 12mm marble tile I don't know. This extra hassle, if indeed it's practical, may also negate the money saved by using these anyway.

Are there any tips/tricks/methods etc. to achieve a nicely lined up layout on walls and floor with these size tiles that I'm missing?

Many thanks,

J

J

J Sid

Put the 600x300 on the floor and the 600x400 on the walls laid landscape.
600 meet 600 one way floor to wall joint and 300 plus 300 meet a 600 on the other wall.

J

jus001

Put the 600x300 on the floor and the 600x400 on the walls laid landscape.
600 meet 600 one way floor to wall joint and 300 plus 300 meet a 600 on the other wall.

Thanks for the reply.

Where you have two 300's meeting a 600, once the grout line has been taken into account, won't this be more like 605mm (assuming a 5mm grout line) overall and as you run down the room each row will be more and more out?

J

J Sid

If you lay a 600 down and then place two tiles with there 300 sides against it with a 2mm joint between them do the out side edges line up.?
Even though they are called 600x300 this should work. Try it!

S

Spare Tool

Am currently in the middle of a couple of bathrooms with exactly the same issues, using 900x450 tiles which are exactly that size and do not include a grout line, we, me and the customer have decided the window wall opposite the door is the main wall to line up and the left and right walls are far less noticeable so these joints will be cross bonded by quite a way so not to look like there running out by 3 mill per tile. Its not as easy as you think lining all walls and floor up in a room anyway as you don't have toilets, baths and sinks sat on a wall or in turn no windows doors and alcoves etc on a floor, but it can be done with carefull setting out and correct tile sizes that include a joint, I wouldn't fancy trimming 5 mill off the end off every tile and getting them to look like a factory finish, imo it'd be easier if they were square to be honest, and id start with the floor and work up the walls off that..

U

Unused Account 1

That size tile not made to match up,if want to math up,square tiles way to go,

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Am currently in the middle of a couple of bathrooms with exactly the same issues, using 900x450 tiles which are exactly that size and do not include a grout line, we, me and the customer have decided the window wall opposite the door is the main wall to line up and the left and right walls are far less noticeable so these joints will be cross bonded by quite a way so not to look like there running out by 3 mill per tile. Its not as easy as you think lining all walls and floor up in a room anyway as you don't have toilets, baths and sinks sat on a wall or in turn no windows doors and alcoves etc on a floor, but it can be done with carefull setting out and correct tile sizes that include a joint, I wouldn't fancy trimming 5 mill off the end off every tile and getting them to look like a factory finish, imo it'd be easier if they were square to be honest, and id start with the floor and work up the walls off that..
Would you not be worried about damaging the tiles laid on the floor if you dropped a tool or a wall tile while tiling the walls, what do you protect the floor with Andy, it would be good to know.
Cheers
D

S

Spare Tool

Normally id always do the walls first for that reason but if the walls and floor need to line up across the whole room only one way of doing it imo and that's floor first, protect it with thin ply :)

O

Old Mod

Would you not be worried about damaging the tiles laid on the floor if you dropped a tool or a wall tile while tiling the walls, what do you protect the floor with Andy, it would be good to know.
Cheers
D
Oh D there are so many answers to that question that are just not suitable for the forum I'm afraid! Hahaha
You're just careful! Haha
Something like Cordex will offer some protection, but u must be careful nothing gets beneath the protection and damages finish so u can tape it down as long as tape doesn't effect the finish either,
Best thing to do is just NOT DROP ANYTHING! :D

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oh D there are so many answers to that question that are just not suitable for the forum I'm afraid! Hahaha
You're just careful! Haha
Something like Cordex will offer some protection, but u must be careful nothing gets beneath the protection and damages finish so u can tape it down as long as tape doesn't effect the finish either,
Best thing to do is just NOT DROP ANYTHING! :D
Normally id always do the walls first for that reason but if the walls and floor need to line up across the whole room only one way of doing it imo and that's floor first, protect it with thin ply :)

The thing is every new thread brings more questions, lol. Its very good of folk to take the time to answer mind, very much appreciated.

Thanks
D

J

jus001

Thanks all!

It's only a small room and there's a toilet one end and the door the other so hopefully being a little bit out should be fairly easy to hide.

On a slightly different subject, I started to take the old tiles off and the plaster underneath came off in huge sheets (a good 2" thick in places) leaving a couple of layers of very hard render underneath, probably an inch or so thick (see photo).

I guess I'm going to have to pull all this off back to the brick and start again? Some serious hammer and chiseling managed to break off some tiny splinters so I guess investing in a SDS drill is the best option to get this off?

Assuming the brick is level enough, I believe you can screw Marmox board directly to the wall?

Reply to 600x300mm/600x400mm Tile Layout in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks