Discuss 3 types of flooring to tile over advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steve mason

Im off to look at a flooring job on sunday so could do with some advice. They want slate laying over 25m2 running from the hall (floor boards) into a laundry room (concrete) into a new kitchen extention (woodchip boards). I was thinking of laying 12mm ply in the hall and kitchen and then putting slc in the laundry room to bring it upto the same level. Ive never used slc before so tips on this would be good.

T

tileexperts

yes i would lay the 12mm ply as you said, and make up the level in the concrete part. or you could put ply on the concrete too and use hammer in fixings but. it will take you a while to do this???. maybe am wrong.

plenty of scews and a nice flexi adhesive on the ply :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

First establish how secure/braced and level are your two wood areas and if rigid fix hardie backer boards throughout.
Flexible adhesive and screws to fix boards - flexible adhesive/grout to fix tiles.
And at 6mm thick reduces your overall height.
Use full boards on all walkway areas and bridge between floor areas to overcome expansion in substrate. Tape all joints in boards.

Timeless John.

D

DHTiling

You should really put a movement joint where the substrates type changes ...different substrates expand and contract at different rates and could cause delamination of the tiles and stress cracks....

S

steve mason

First establish how secure/braced and level are your two wood areas and if rigid fix hardie backer boards throughout.
Flexible adhesive and screws to fix boards - flexible adhesive/grout to fix tiles.
And at 6mm thick reduces your overall height.
Use full boards on all walkway areas and bridge between floor areas to overcome expansion in substrate. Tape all joints in boards.

Timeless John.
I take it you mean fix boards with flex adi onto the concrete and screw into the boards? Why do i need to tape all the joints and what type of tape? ( sorry for questions, never used hardie backer board) Is 6mm as strong as 12mm ply then?

S

steve mason

You should really put a movement joint where the substrates type changes ...different substrates expand and contract at different rates and could cause delamination of the tiles and stress cracks....

Cheers dave, ive never used a movement joint before as only laid onto the same type of substrate. How do i put it in? i presume i fit it inbetween the hardie backer board as it runs into the next substrate. Do you know if ctd sell these?

G

grumpygrouter

I take it you mean fix boards with flex adi onto the concrete and screw into the boards? Why do i need to tape all the joints and what type of tape? ( sorry for questions, never used hardie backer board) Is 6mm as strong as 12mm ply then?
No, it isn't a substitue as a strengthener, and that is why John said to make sure the floor is strong enough. it does give a more "stable" surface to tile onto though.

S

steve mason

Thanks guys for the advice, off to look at the job tonight feel alot more confident now.

Reply to 3 types of flooring to tile over advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay