Search the forum,

Discuss 1st bit of site work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just finished an ensuite on a new build. This place was huge and the owners are very tile happy. Got the job when the original tiler got the hump with the site boss and chucked a bucket of grout water over him :lol:

Here's a few piccies:
DSCF0213.jpg

DSCF0214.jpg

DSCF0215.jpg

DSCF0224.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Much more fun mate!
Give me this kind of work anytime.
All mats supplied and using tubbed addy made such a nice change.
Still took me a week though :huh2:

This place was huge: wetroom and ensuite downstairs. bathroom and ensuite upstairs and loads of floor tiling downstairs. I really tryed to get some tips from the pro tilers there cos they were working so fast.
From looking at their work the key to speed was:
1 Don't waste time setting out
2 Don't waste time with a rubbing block on cut edges
3 Don't worry about having cut edges next to field tiles
4 If having a border, let the doorway interupt it so when it's 1cm out you won't notice it as much
5 Don't waste time getting trim cut to exactly the right length and you can save another 20 mins by not getting the tiles to sit flush with trim
6 Let someone else polish the grout haze off, at least it hides the grout job for a bit
7 Chipped tiles are fine to put on the wall if you can't be bothered to go get a new box
etc..etc..
Thing is these guys are making the same money (well more 'cos they're getting twice as many tiles down as me) so who's the real mug?

M

MICK the Tiler

Anyone would think you did this tile thing for a living Macten :lol: :lol:

Looks great from where I'm Sitt'n thanks for sharing.

Grout water over a builders head?........................I'll have to give that a go one day. :thumbsup:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
HaHa - this was followed with the line:
"Am I still gonna get paid?"
:lol::lol:

Reaction score
that is site work for you....sum it up in one word...rough !!!

it is exactly the same with plastering...

that is the reason I won't do it, I'd be skint because I'd take too long, no shame in being slower and producing quality work..

Mark.

oh well, cup of tea over, back to work..

S

sWe

Much more fun mate!

This place was huge: wetroom and ensuite downstairs. bathroom and ensuite upstairs and loads of floor tiling downstairs. I really tryed to get some tips from the pro tilers there cos they were working so fast.
4 If having a border, let the doorway interupt it so when it's 1cm out you won't notice it as much
5 Don't waste time getting trim cut to exactly the right length and you can save another 20 mins by not getting the tiles to sit flush with trim
6 Let someone else polish the grout haze off, at least it hides the grout job for a bit
7 Chipped tiles are fine to put on the wall if you can't be bothered to go get a new box
etc..etc..
Thing is these guys are making the same money (well more 'cos they're getting twice as many tiles down as me) so who's the real mug?

Met a tiler at a site job who got really competative speed wise when there were other tilers around. He literally RAN fetching stuff, and more or less threw the tiles onto the walls. He did 50sqm in the time I did 25sqm. I didn't have to tear everything down at the end of the day, he did :rofl:

M

MICK the Tiler

Much more fun mate!

etc..etc..

Speed is obviously important to these tilers, But don't forget the rule reputaion is more important to everyone else. You will have work when these guys are scratching there ARSES!!!!!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't worry guys - I'll always go for quality over quantity all day everyday.
Just know that there are tilers out there like yourselves who can achieve the same quality as me with the same pace as the dodgy tilers.
I know I haven't been in the game very long and I can only get faster but found it really dissapointing to have the opportunity to watch these 'pro' tilers at work and learn nothing from them.
I feel I am going to be a busy fool through no fault of my own.

Reply to 1st bit of site work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen