Search the forum,

Discuss 18mm WBP ply prior to tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

chris_elevate

I've just found this in the WarmUp manual....

"SUBFLOOR TYPES Timber Subfloor: Secure existing floorboards. Floor boards should then be over boarded with a Warmup insulation board (min 10mm) or WBP plywood (Min 18mm) screwed down at 200mm centres.

Fixing Ply directly to joists will not provide a stable floor finish to accept the tiles. Fixing 18mm tongue and groove then over boarding with WBP plywood or the Warmup Insulation board."

So they are saying I need 18mm followed by 10mm insulation board on top? Surely having 28mm plus adhesive and tiles will create a "step" from my landing carpeted floor into the bathroom at this rate? My landing floorboards are 18mm.

Thanks for your input on this.

F

Flintstone

18mm ply is structural, same as a floor board is. The 6mm insulation is to insulate, and also give you a better more suitable surface to tile on than ply wood.

D

Dumbo

As regards your step . Function over form not form over function. What mean is if it works you will get over the step . If you take form over function and it fails you wont get over that . Probably you have come up a flight of 8 inch stairs i sure yiu can manage a little step into your bathroom . Dont forget descent underlay and carpet probably 20mm .

C

chris_elevate

So 4mm notched trowel onto the 18mm ply with the s1 adhesive, 6mm insulation boards onto that, screws every 200mm, glass fibre take along the joins and it’ll be ready you’d say?

C

chris_elevate

Yes - penny washers sound good - thanks :)

Warmup are specifying 10mm insulation boards to comply with british standards for tiling. Do you guys agree or will 6mm be ok? I'm desperately trying to keep the bathroom floor height down as much as possible that's all.

Thanks again.

H

hmtiling

So 4mm notched trowel onto the 18mm ply with the s1 adhesive, 6mm insulation boards onto that, screws every 200mm, glass fibre take along the joins and it’ll be ready you’d say?
Go 8/10mm trowel to stick the boards and walk on them. Trowel all in the same direction along the width of the board so it's easier for the air to escape

Reply to 18mm WBP ply prior to tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen