Search the forum,

Discuss 14 day cooling-off period if selling to a customer in their home in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
In case you missed it change to the rules came in on 13th June 2014
- completely replacing the Cancellation of Contracts made in Consumers' Homes or Place of Work Regs 2008 - that required 7 days notice and we had to give the customer a special bit of paper with the details of their rights on.

now Consumer Contracts Regs 2013
Customers now have to have 14 days notice to cool off and the details on the paper work has changed. You have to give even more written details of the job.

For jobs value of £42 or more

It is relevant for all of us to know because there are changes to rules about buying stuff online too.

To explain Here is the Which? guide for customers :
Consumer Contracts Regulations - Which?

As I see it the way to avoid all this is NOT to book work when you are with the client away from your own premises. If possible, no matter how eager they are, get them to phone you after you have left their house or you can phone them later even if they want to book there and then you can have reasons to phone them back to confirm.
The biggest problem is for those of you who go do jobs there and then.
Otherwise the people can not pay you on this technicality!

You have to get a "Start Work Now" agreement in writing.

According to a leaflet I have "urgent repairs" are exempt but I am not sure this is true. I think for urgent work you have to give all the paperwork AND get a "Start Work Now" agreement.

Guideline from Gov are here see FAQ F https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...NPOnymwc3_T96mQ&bvm=bv.70138588,d.ZGU&cad=rjt

Q

Qwerty

Thanks for posting this up Dan.

I know that some on here have slated these regulations but I have always adhered to them as a Trading Standards "Buy with confidence" approved tradesman. People would be surprised as to how many tradesman fall foul of the law and the fines are hefty plus your reputation is at stake!

S

Spud

this does not effect commercial contracts then? where the home owner is a 3rd party ?

Reply to 14 day cooling-off period if selling to a customer in their home in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen