Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss £1000 in a week in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

davy_G

Ive done it twice in 2 years, usually large floors. Not a good average, ie 1 in 50.

Still nice when it does happen!

T

theyomper

I have on many an occassion.
Don't be blinkered when you are discussing work with a customer use your biggest asset...your ears. If both the hubby and wife are there discussing the job listen to what they are saying to each other, they will drop hints on what they are both wanting to acheive. It gives you an opening to other work.
Most businesses will rely on the profits from 'Add Ons' rather than the core product. Add On's in this trade being ....materials...underfloor heating...bathroom suites (team up with a plumber if required)...even down to supplying the tiles, sit back and make a list of what you could sell and how you would sell it.
My builder mate says I'm expensive but I won't lower my prices, even in this CC, and have a very good mark up on materials. I'm in business to make a good living not to slave away getting very little in return. I set myself a target of £1000 a week and will aim to meet that.

B

Bolter

Have done a few times if the work is right (i.e large floors)

Havent been close for a while though because sites are on a slow down, so instead of having a run of houses to go at, we get one at a time. Still earning good money, and am very grateful for it.

T

trevortine

With ya there brian, same as you aint blowin any trumpets but happens on a regular basis and not that difficult when ur busy. Made nearly 2 grand in a week last november, now that was a one off:hurray:

B

bigandy

have in the past (exclusive building site with all trav floors and walls) but not for a good while

L

LM Ceramics

only once a few times when i had a large commercial job in it lasted for over a month i got £1000 a week on that but it would be very difficuly to get it on private but it all depends on the job it could be a large area conservatory using stone so it could be possible but in these hard times it will be hard to earn near that amount

W

wetdec

I got one sweet job I do pays me 1400 a week free appartment in London stripping and repairing a travertine foyer equates to around 35 hrs + travelling time. (no dont get big ideas I been at this 25yrs)

A 26m ceramic floor should take 2 days and at average should pay 500 quid so its possible. The factor I think is being able to line the work up to max potential and pick your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

davy_G

I
The factor I think is being able to line the work up to max potential and pick your work.

100% right there wetdec. If we could pick and choose our jobs we would only take the high payers. Alot are bread and butter and you cant talk the client into upgrading too much!

Reaction score
Don't believe it myself.

think it was me darren was referring to as i was in touch with him yesterday and it happened.

had a large kitchen splashback job to do, also had a bathroom retile to do.

to cut a long story short, i talked the kitchen customer into a mosaic feature behind their range, extra £. While i was doing my quote for the bathroom the customers said about general home improvements and how they wanted rid of their artex ceilings in living room and kitchen. I am no plasterer but said i could arrange it. knowing various good reliable people in various trades i got my bathroom tiles removed while i did the kitchen job, then went to do the bathroom job in the meantime the plasterers were doing the ceilings, they overboarded then skimmed. I pointed both customers in the direction of the tile shop I use the most (where i get my best discount) and made money on all tiles, all materials including plastering materials as I said i would supply these, extra money for feature behind range, standard day rate of £150 and the plasterers thanked me for getting them the work. Ended up making about £1200 profit that week.

Not happened before and may be a long while til it happens again but is possible. I can only do tiling and explain this to customers but will take on plastering, kitchen fitting, bathroom installations etc as i know good reliable people to do these jobs for me and I can make more money then. Today my work for today and tomorrow have cancelled at the last minute so this week i will make nowhere near a grand from Weds, Thurs and Fri! thats why i think you have to make the most of every opportunity you can and while they may be few and far between they are there.

B

brian c

well done Gareth and yes it is possible buy as you say..this week you will not make anywhere near as much..thats why i always put money aside to counter act the quieter times...however its lovely to earn a lot of money and its better spending it...lol

L

Leatherface

Best was £3250 clear, in 3 weeks incl profit from supply of tiles and materials.
Wish it happened more often, job was on a day rate at £150 per day,working days were mon - fri , 8 while 4

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

done it a couple of times before xmas when i was rushed of my feet,some days i was doing 2 splashbacks in a shift,wished i was the now,just happy i'm still getting work in!

C

cornish_crofter

Did this working in London.

I worked 7 days solid. Charged my usual hoursly rate, customer (sister) reckoned I was undercharging so she added £150!

Reply to £1000 in a week in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks