Discuss Will this stain/ruin the slate disk? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rosanna Anderssen

I'm moving into an basement aparment and it's currently very badly lit and has this huge fireplace. I plan on put up some LED lighting to fix that problem, but I want to make the fireplace pop out and make a statement. And this without damaging the fireplace. The fireplace is not, will not, and have not been used for at least 15 years so there is no firehazard.
This is what it looks like now
Sorry for the mess, we're in the middle of moving.
I photoshopped what I want the result to look like, just roughly
I planned on using contactpaper, something like this. I really want to look for some higher quality contactpaper, but I haven't really started to look around as stuff like this is hard to get by in Norway. If you know of any good brand then I would love to hear about them :)
The problem the owners have is that they think the contactpaper will stain, or otherwise ruin the slate disk, which would be the only thing i want to cover with contactpaper.
I would think, if we were to remove the contactpaper, the sticky glue will go off using alcohol (the fireplace would still not be in use) and any stains could be fixed using oil Iv'e heard? Is this true?

Can I go through with this idea, of not is there another way I can hide or change the color of the black slate without permanently damaging it?
Any tips at all would help.

The color on the fireplace itself will be painted and i'm looking into firesafe paint (just in case), so don't worry :)

T

Time's Ran Out

A59CD264-9BB5-4552-8E3B-C58CDB4319C6.png 4A890D9E-869C-4196-B99E-476717F8CD74.png
Of the 2 I prefer it as it is!!

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Lots of people here know lots about protective coats and recoats of natural stones. The adhesive used is some can of polyurethane so how well it will actually stick I don't know. Given a weak acid and a hairdryer removes maybe it's not so worrisome.

R

Rosanna Anderssen

Lots of people here know lots about protective coats and recoats of natural stones. The adhesive used is some can of polyurethane so how well it will actually stick I don't know. Given a weak acid and a hairdryer removes maybe it's not so worrisome.
The slate is only oil treated, I see what you mean about it not sticking as well as I probably like it to. But it's not going to be a work surface, and won't be used much if that makes sense. And all in all, if it doesn't work out it doesn't bother me to take it off. I just want to know if it's possible to try it out.

R

Rosanna Anderssen

That's actually a really good idea! I'm planning on using some contact paper on the inside of some drawers elsewhere in the house so I'll just try with that so that I don't order a lot of contact paper I can't use. Thank you!

R

Rosanna Anderssen

May be try a small strip as a test ?
That's actually a really good idea! I'm planning on using some contact paper on the inside of some drawers elsewhere in the house so I'll just try with that so that I don't order a lot of contact paper I can't use. Thank you!

Reply to Will this stain/ruin the slate disk? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks