Search the forum,

Discuss Wickes powdered Tile adhesive not set in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

stakee

Hello,
I was hoping somebody could help with our tiling problem. Last week we tiled our conservatory with homebase ceramic tiles. We had a very thick chipboard floor, so we then screwed on exterior plywood on top. Then we used Wickes powdered adhesive and then Wickes powdered grey grout. Within a day there were cracks all over the grout, so after reading many forums on here I assumed that we had over watered the grout or that perhaps because it was not a flexible grout the tiles had moved slightly and therefore the grout cracked. So the next plan was to begrudgingly de-grout and then use a flexible grout instead. However, as soon as I removed the grout the tiles came loose and were easy to lift. The adhesive underneath obviously hadn't set (in a whole week) and felt like damp sand. What could have been the reason for this? As I don't want to retile and regrout to find this problem occur again!

Thank you for any ideas, it is a 15m sq floor so took a pretty long time to do!

Stacey

M

Martino

Did you follow the correct steps when mixing the adhesive?...how long did you leave it before you grouted?....you would need to use flexible addy and grout deffo

S

stakee

Thanks for your speedy reply!
We followed the instructions on the bag and it was Wickes (not rapid set) and we used 3 adhesive to 1 water. We left it 24 hours then grouted. oops no flexi admix

D

DHTiling

Chipboard floor.. is this onto joists..?

As for adhesive.. over watering can result in weak mix and none setting due to incorrect ratio for hydration.

J

joshtiler

Hi there Stacey, sorry to hear about your problem, I just looked at the adhesive you used (I have never used it) and a few reviews state that they also had this problem, plywood is not an ideal surface to tile onto really if it were me I would use a tile backer board layed onto the chipboard and then choose a better flexible adhesive such as Bal or Weber. The trouble with wickes is its very DIY friendly but the products they offer are not really suitable. I certainly would never use a wickes adhesive. Hope that helps.

S

stakee

Ive replied twice but can't see them on here! Please let me know if you can se them or I may keep writing the same thing over and over again :S

Umm yes on joist, it was thick chipboard but read on here you shouldn't do it on that. As the last house owner used a nail gun the chipboard was impossible for us to get up, so we used plywood on top and millions of screws.

The adhesive was mixed 3 adhesive: 1 water. Is this normal? Also could you recommend a better adhesive to use (I will add flexi ad too)

P

Perry

I don't think there ordinary adhesive is suitable for using on a wooden floor also was it WPB ply and how thick was it?

S

stakee

I must admit it was about 6mm- I've since read on here that it should be 15mm :S However that was screwed on top of about 30mm chipboard.

Does anyone know a adhesive that could be used on wooden flooring? I'd really appreciate it!

Also I've scrapped off as much of the wet sandy residue and grout as possible, is it ok to tile straight on top of that as its not a an entirely smooth surface. (Please say yes I have blisters on my hands)

Thanks again

Reply to Wickes powdered Tile adhesive not set in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen