Currently reading:
Wickes powdered Tile adhesive not set

Discuss Wickes powdered Tile adhesive not set in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

stakee

Hello,
I was hoping somebody could help with our tiling problem. Last week we tiled our conservatory with homebase ceramic tiles. We had a very thick chipboard floor, so we then screwed on exterior plywood on top. Then we used Wickes powdered adhesive and then Wickes powdered grey grout. Within a day there were cracks all over the grout, so after reading many forums on here I assumed that we had over watered the grout or that perhaps because it was not a flexible grout the tiles had moved slightly and therefore the grout cracked. So the next plan was to begrudgingly de-grout and then use a flexible grout instead. However, as soon as I removed the grout the tiles came loose and were easy to lift. The adhesive underneath obviously hadn't set (in a whole week) and felt like damp sand. What could have been the reason for this? As I don't want to retile and regrout to find this problem occur again!

Thank you for any ideas, it is a 15m sq floor so took a pretty long time to do!

Stacey

J

joshtiler

Hi there Stacey, sorry to hear about your problem, I just looked at the adhesive you used (I have never used it) and a few reviews state that they also had this problem, plywood is not an ideal surface to tile onto really if it were me I would use a tile backer board layed onto the chipboard and then choose a better flexible adhesive such as Bal or Weber. The trouble with wickes is its very DIY friendly but the products they offer are not really suitable. I certainly would never use a wickes adhesive. Hope that helps.

S

stakee

Ive replied twice but can't see them on here! Please let me know if you can se them or I may keep writing the same thing over and over again :S

Umm yes on joist, it was thick chipboard but read on here you shouldn't do it on that. As the last house owner used a nail gun the chipboard was impossible for us to get up, so we used plywood on top and millions of screws.

The adhesive was mixed 3 adhesive: 1 water. Is this normal? Also could you recommend a better adhesive to use (I will add flexi ad too)

S

stakee

I must admit it was about 6mm- I've since read on here that it should be 15mm :S However that was screwed on top of about 30mm chipboard.

Does anyone know a adhesive that could be used on wooden flooring? I'd really appreciate it!

Also I've scrapped off as much of the wet sandy residue and grout as possible, is it ok to tile straight on top of that as its not a an entirely smooth surface. (Please say yes I have blisters on my hands)

Thanks again

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
No quotes- thought we could have a go ourselves. Unfortunately not really an option due to finances!

They actually good really good but crack started appearing in grout- thought it was problem with grout but seems its problem with the adhesive!

6mm ply is no good! Overboard the lot with hardibacker 250 glued and screwed and tile it again with a flexible powdered adhesive! Tilemaster ultimate or bal fast flex

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Hello Stakee,the ply will need to come up,its too thin.
Never use PVA when tiling.
Use Hardie backer 250 on top of chipboard.Use a 3mm trowl & screw every 150mm.
Follow instructions for Hardie backer.Use a powdered addy from a tile shop.Tile Giant,etc.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Thanks for all the replies!
Put PVA and water solution on ply to prime it. The joists are On a metal frame- no concrete :s

How is the floor constructed then. What is under it all? Mud or waste from building the conservatory? If there's no concrete base and its perhaps suspended from pay the conservatory walls. Then what measures were put in to prevent damp and moisture under the floor rising into the room?

Reply to Wickes powdered Tile adhesive not set in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement