Search the forum,

Discuss Why have grout lines in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GaryS

Just wondered why you need to have grout lines at all as it seems marble ect can be laid without them, I understand that floors and walls can move just wondered how they get around this with marble floors that have no visable grout lines.

S

Scott

Gary we are back to our usual conversation you and i seem to have been having a lot! Expansion and contraction :)

The stone cant be butted up as it expands and can pop, the grout takes up that movement which is why there are minimum grout joints for walls and floors, well thats the theory in this country but if you go abroad there are loads of countries that do it

G

GaryS

lol thats what i figured scott just wondered how they do it with those marble floors that dont have grout lines, only thing i can think of is that its a lot thicker than a standard tile

G

grumpygrouter

Most of the construction in britain is different to the countries that butt up tiles. They are primarily going onto a concrete type structure which, once has settled in with regards to climate is fairly stable I would imagine. Here in Britain, the atmospheric conditions can vary widely and as there is a large amount of timber used in the construction over here, there will be more movement, hence the BS for minimum grout joints!

J

johnryan

i learnt to tile in israel, and never saw a spacer till i came home. even ceramics are butt joint there. 80% of the work is cement work though, even the vertical work, and i think that plus no real change of temp through the year makes it ok. can't imagine there'd be any expansion/contraction due to hot cold temps. though jerusalem gets freezing in the winter, so maybe it's more to do with fixing the tiles with cement and sand.

edit; their marble, terrazzo and stone is mostly 20mm thick too.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GaryS

Its done in this country too grumpy as some of the excellent photos in the show us your work thread show and it does look really really good, i dont think stone expands or contracts so i guess its an issue with the floor or walls moving that can cause a problem. It looks to be very detailed work with some of these floors (i've not seen walls done like this) just looks amazing when done right and seamless.

J

johnryan

i wonder if the thickness plays a big part johnryan tile less likely to bend and pop
i'm not sure about that, but i think you may have a point about movement, as all building over there is concrete structure with block panels, or built from stone. even their internal studwork for drywall is done with metal frames. wood is too expensive, so is rarely used for anything except doors, and a lot of them are composite materials. also floors are laid on a bed of dry sand and cement mixed as you go, then wet sand and cement on top of that. it's difficult to explain how they set the tiles, but it's very different from here.

G

GaryS

lol i think it was Pebbs work i was referring to in the show us your work section and its brilliant

J

johnryan

i did this floor for my sister 2 years ago, and it's still in great shape. this was all laid on sand and cement, in her conservatory.
sheilas floor 16.jpg

however, i was taking a bit of a chance with it as i wasn't sure about working with butt joints here. she said go ahead anyway, so i put it down like this. it's cheap vietnamese marble they sell at tile giant, but it still seems to be fine now, with no problems so far.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
i learnt to tile in israel, and never saw a spacer till i came home. even ceramics are butt joint there. 80% of the work is cement work though, even the vertical work, and i think that plus no real change of temp through the year makes it ok. can't imagine there'd be any expansion/contraction due to hot cold temps. though jerusalem gets freezing in the winter, so maybe it's more to do with fixing the tiles with cement and sand.

edit; their marble, terrazzo and stone is mostly 20mm thick too.
i spent 4 months in israel in 1986 working on various moshavs, just thought id share this with you ,

Reply to Why have grout lines in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen