Search the forum,

Discuss Why do people do tiling courses! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DevonChris

Hi all,
seen so many people just finished courses but, understandably, needing lots of help and scared of doing big jobs, etc.
Also, people wanting to be tilers all want to know which course to do.
As courses are not recognised by people who employ you (unlike electricians,etc) why don't people just learn the way people used to and work with a tiler. After a couple of years they've learnt all they need to know without relying on tile forums to tell them what adhesive they should be using.
I may be missing something and I am prepared to be corrected!

D

DHTiling

Tile forums aren't just for people who have been on courses.. they are for anybody looking for advise..be it new comers to tiling..DIY or even time served tilers who have come across something new and need tips on installing it etc.....
A tiling course is designed to give a basic structure to the knowledge of tiling..mostly designed for peeps who just want to tile there own bathrooms etc....and some peeps then try to go on and become full time fixers....
There are not by far enough fixers or company's who would take on new comers.. so these courses are a way of breaking in to the tiling game...
Yes! as we know they don't teach all you will come across in the tiling industry but being taught some basics is better than just turning up at some ones house and tiling with no knowledge............

G

GazTech

People will go on a tiling course, to see if they like the idea of tiling for a living. People will also do a course to learn basics to do a job for themselves.
Not all tilers want to take apprentices on nowadays.
I will answer peoples questions on whatever subject without wanting to know their motives...I impart my knowledge because I enjoy it.
Chris I know you have tiled for 15 yrs, but would you like to formally introduce yourself to the other members...just to be polite .....Gaz
http://www.tilersforums.com/new-members-say-hi-here/

T

tfs

From my point of veiw, Im doing a years course in tiling as I have tried so hard to gain employment with a tiler. I have offered my assistance for free labouring and hoping to learn.

I personally believe it can be very difficult, especially for mature people from theirs twenties to fifties, sometime older.

I have a good alround set of skills and could be a great asset to atiler if they gave me the chance. I have not been lucky enough to get a chance. To be honest, unless I gained employment from a passionate and knowledgable tiler I probabl;y woudn't be happy to work them, but thats just me.

I can also understand that this type of thing can be frustrating for a time served tiler. These guys worked hard and trained to be where they are today and then some wanna b's just do a weeks course and try to muscle in on the trade, and I guess to some extent undervalue the fact that a real tiler is a highly skilled and knowledgable person.

Even on the course Im doing just now I get random fools making comments like' why you doing tiling, anyone can do that'. Aye right, these are the t***s that think they can tile cos they stick a few tiles to a wall in there kitchen. (most dont even do a decent job) I am not a qualified tiler but, still this kind of attitude pis#*es me of big time.

kris
----
May I just say to people on here, I only do jobs that I feel i can do to a good standard. I take my time and always let people know that I am currently training to be a tiler so, they know what their getting. I tell them also that I may be slower than a tiler too.

p.s. I am looking for a job as trainee or apprentice if anyone is interested! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Kris don't worry mate..these peeps will come and go...you just keep plodding mate.. you will get there... We don't all think like this mate....

T

tfs

Cheers Dave,

I do totaly understand where this guy is coming from thogu. There are alot of people offering tiling services and taking on jobs that they really are not up to.

I

IvegotsTILE

I only did a weeks course and I'm doing alright and do a fantastic job.
I couldn't shadow a tiler for a year to get experience,I have bills to pay so can't work for nothing.
I don't think I'd ever take anyone on in the future simply cause he'll be after the same work as me in the future,thats why no-one else will take anyone on.You have to look after yourself and your family first.

J

Jimmy Boy

I can show you some BOVIS built houses where I live that were bricked by so called bricklayers ... I think using the horizon as a level!?!?

Hey Kris, I got a pal who said to me "tiling is a piece of p***" after he heard i'd been on a course.
I've seen his bathroom wall, I bet you don't have to guess more than once where you think his starting point was, and I gotta say he's right, it would be p*** easy to get the result he's got. And obviously his bath is not level :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Why do people do tiling courses! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen