Search the forum,

Discuss Which trowel and grout line size for my tiles please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

essexsi

Hi all,

Thanks for the great help I have recieved in other questions.
Hopefully a couple of quick and easy answers for you pro's!!!
The following is in a walk in shower and the area will be tanked appropriately. I think I am right to be using a flexi adhesive on both with a long bucket life as this is first proper DIY tiling job, Ardex 7+G I believe is well thought of.

Wall
Plaster on block
Ceramic Tile size 300x600mm

Was thinking of using a 10mm trowel and using a 2mm grout line. Am I close?

Floor
Concrete screed
Ceramic tile size 300x300mm

Was thinking the same 10mm trowel as wall but maybe a 3mm grout line for the floor.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers Si

D

DHTiling

Sounds ok to me......:thumbsup:

Trick is not to mix your adhesive to stiff ,then the ribs will collapse better to create a solid bed.

E

essexsi

Blimey I was right then! Quick get the missus!

Cheers for the replies. Dave was you refering to the walls, floor or both?
Captain Slow I will be going for your title I think !!! I take it the Ardex stuff is suitable for the shower environment?

Cheers Si

T

Time's Ran Out

Si - Agreed with others - however I'd tend to keep the joint size the same and therefore you should be able to follow the wall and floor joints (1 wall tile to 2 floor tiles).
I said should because the extra joint in the floor tiles may push the line out. Check the tiles prior to setting out the room as some matching tiles for wall/floor tend to manufactured with a joint allowance.:thumbsup:

John.

E

essexsi

Thanks for chipping in with a very good point John. Hadn't even occured to me being honest!
So if keeping the same would I be right to assume 3mm, if different then the 2mm walls and 3mm floor is ok.

Cheers Si

D

david campbell

i would agre with timeless john here,and would probably go for a 3mm grout line all round and make it all tie in,you won't really notice the difference with the size of the tiles anyway

D

DHTiling

As john mentions though..check the tolerance of the wall tiles against the floor tiles..Some manufactures make the floor tiles slightly smaller to allow for the extra in the joint....

And yes i have used 10mm both walls and floor....say you used an 8 mm and the coverage isn't sufficent then step up a trowel size..

D

Daz

I assume that you will be fixing the wall tiles in a portrait fashion? If not then there is little point in worrying about matching the grout lines...

T

Time's Ran Out

As I said Captain 1 wall tile to 2 floor tiles - if he's fixing it landscape!

I bet you've got that bath board covered in adhesive by now!:thumbsdown:

John.

Reply to Which trowel and grout line size for my tiles please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen