Search the forum,

Discuss where to loose 17.4 cms in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

footy_1

Hi I am looking at where to start tiling my wet room walls with tiles that are 25cm high & have an excess 17.4 cm to loose. My inclination is to have the cut tile at floor level. The alternative as I see it is to cut top & bottom to the same dimensions.

Any advice would be greatly received.

J

jay

hi you also may have a bath vanity door jamb to add to the problem try to have the same size cut top and bottom but dont get caught with slithers over bath or vanity hope this helps

and:welcome: to the forum

F

footy_1

Thanks for your prompt reply much appreciated. Had an idea since posting my query that I use one less tile and add an addition, 5 cm border with a 6 cm cut tile between the two borders which will get over the problem, leaving a small trimm top and bottom to look ballanced.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When you say small trim do you mean a slither cut?
Best to avoid them mate as aesthetically they are not pleasing.
Set out so you have the largest equal cut top and bottom if possible - but take into account other obstacles like tops of doors, windows, boxing in etc...

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
depending on other height issues (bath / vanity etc) I would always advise to cut top and bottom - never seen a truly level ceiling and the best way to overcome your issue is to cut both

S

SandyFloor

Always leave a cut top, bottom & corners. That way you never have any awkward gaps.

D

david campbell

leave the biggest possible cuts at the top and bottom,this will help make any variences in floor and roof levels un-noticable,believe me i have very rarely came across a room where either is level:smilewinkgrin:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The correct way to set out would be to find the high point of the ceiling, and the low point of the floor. This is your actual room size (should you draw a level line around the room and measure to the highest and lowest point you'd acheive the same as physically levelling both and judging it, but you'll also have some measurements in your mind [i.e. the amount each falls out of level) to help with your set out) and you need to work out the setting out with those factors included, but also the other obsticles on each wall such as windows and the likes, and even furniture if you want to make those look like they were meant to go exactly in the middle of a grout joint, or middle of a tile, sort of thing.

Spend time setting out, and the key is, to know where every tile will sit before you actually get the adhesive out. You'll know each cut size, and you'll have made quite a few adjustments to ensure they're all as best they can be.

Reply to where to loose 17.4 cms in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen