Currently reading:
where to loose 17.4 cms

Discuss where to loose 17.4 cms in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
When you say small trim do you mean a slither cut?
Best to avoid them mate as aesthetically they are not pleasing.
Set out so you have the largest equal cut top and bottom if possible - but take into account other obstacles like tops of doors, windows, boxing in etc...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The correct way to set out would be to find the high point of the ceiling, and the low point of the floor. This is your actual room size (should you draw a level line around the room and measure to the highest and lowest point you'd acheive the same as physically levelling both and judging it, but you'll also have some measurements in your mind [i.e. the amount each falls out of level) to help with your set out) and you need to work out the setting out with those factors included, but also the other obsticles on each wall such as windows and the likes, and even furniture if you want to make those look like they were meant to go exactly in the middle of a grout joint, or middle of a tile, sort of thing.

Spend time setting out, and the key is, to know where every tile will sit before you actually get the adhesive out. You'll know each cut size, and you'll have made quite a few adjustments to ensure they're all as best they can be.

+1 dan. I could never put all that into so few words...well done!! Did you forget to mention the tile staff and marking the datum line on it :smilewinkgrin:

I had a setting out incident the other day, where the customer wanted a vertical grout line centered on the shower, I said it would look best centered on toilet in middle of room. To pursuade them to my way of thinking, I actually drew out the grout lines on the wall (in brick bond!) and showed the 10mm and 80mm strips it would leave at each side of the room.

Same principle applies to top and bottom cuts also. Best to go for an even'ish top and bottom cut, adjusted to suit bath, vanity, WC, window, shower tray etc :thumbsup: Best go with whatever's most prominent, or the biggest feature.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

+1 dan. I could never put all that into so few words...well done!! Did you forget to mention the tile staff and marking the datum line on it :smilewinkgrin:

I had a setting out incident the other day, where the customer wanted a vertical grout line centered on the shower, I said it would look best centered on toilet in middle of room. To pursuade them to my way of thinking, I actually drew out the grout lines on the wall (in brick bond!) and showed the 10mm and 80mm strips it would leave at each side of the room.

Same principle applies to top and bottom cuts also. Best to go for an even'ish top and bottom cut, adjusted to suit bath, vanity, WC, window, shower tray etc :thumbsup: Best go with whatever's most prominent, or the biggest feature.

Staff every time for me, every job is different. I try to acheive an
aesthetically pleasing effect, I spend as long as it takes setting out. Never fix your first tile, until you know where your last tile will go.:thumbsup:

Reply to where to loose 17.4 cms in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.