Search the forum,

Discuss What surfaces to prime in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Anna Rack

Just wondered what surfaces to prime when tiling. Planning on acrylic as PVA seems to be frowned upon.

Got some 6mm cement faced backer boards to fix to green chipboard. The chipboard is quite waxy so will this benefit from a primer? Will also be screwing with washers and taping joints. Do I prime the underside of the backer board as well as the top face? Presumably you don't prime the (mesh backed) 50mm tumbled marble mosaics?!

Thanks in advance.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
No need to prime the chipboard or the backer boards. I wouldn't use the washers either.. You'd be better off counter-sinking the screws. ;)

R

Rookery

Same for me. Wipe the floor and back of the boards with a damp sponge to remove any dust/dirt before you start.

A

Anna Rack

Thanks.

Was planning on sticking the boards to the floor with adhesive and then screwing when set.

Don't think countersinking the screws would work as it's a foam board and they'd go straight through!

So I don't need to prime anything during the job?

I

Ian

Thanks.

Was planning on sticking the boards to the floor with adhesive and then screwing when set.

Don't think countersinking the screws would work as it's a foam board and they'd go straight through!

So I don't need to prime anything during the job?

Screw the boards whilst the adhesive is still wet, not after it has set.

W

White Room

Whats the name of the boards as backer boards as I refer to them as cement boards without the foam as in Hardie.

D

DHTiling

If they are cement faced polycore boards then min depth is 10mm and special washers are required... if they are solid core boards like hardibacker etc then no washer required and 6mm can be used in deflection is minimal.

A

Anna Rack

They're 'prowarm' tile backer boards. Had a look at the installation instructions and they say they can just be screwed without adhesive onto the floor, but I'd rather have both to be sure. They suggested normal stainless penny washers.

They also said 6mm would be fine on a level floor - wouldn't the thicker boards be more likely to compress?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
If they are cement faced polycore boards then min depth is 10mm and special washers are required... if they are solid core boards like hardibacker etc then no washer required and 6mm can be used in deflection is minimal.

They sound like fun!?! How do you go about tiling on boards with screws and washers sticking up? Especially mosaics!?! Sounds like an absolute nightmare!

Reply to What surfaces to prime in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen