Currently reading:
What surfaces to prime

Search the forum,

Discuss What surfaces to prime in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Anna Rack

Just wondered what surfaces to prime when tiling. Planning on acrylic as PVA seems to be frowned upon.

Got some 6mm cement faced backer boards to fix to green chipboard. The chipboard is quite waxy so will this benefit from a primer? Will also be screwing with washers and taping joints. Do I prime the underside of the backer board as well as the top face? Presumably you don't prime the (mesh backed) 50mm tumbled marble mosaics?!

Thanks in advance.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
If they are cement faced polycore boards then min depth is 10mm and special washers are required... if they are solid core boards like hardibacker etc then no washer required and 6mm can be used in deflection is minimal.

They sound like fun!?! How do you go about tiling on boards with screws and washers sticking up? Especially mosaics!?! Sounds like an absolute nightmare!

A

Anna Rack

Back to the orginal question, I guess I don't need to prime anything unless the surface is dry/dusty? Or is it best as a matter of course anyway?

So you've never used the foam backing boards? There seem to be endless posts on the forum recommending using them over plywood.

It's all a learning curve for me... you try searching the internet to do something 'properly' and end up wishing you'd never started the job. Anyway I seem to be following the path most pros seem to suggest, only question mark is whether I should have used the thicker board.

Will get some pics up once things get moving.

A

Anna Rack

Oh I see.. You should post up some pics, it'd be interesting to see it coming together ;)

Here are my efforts so far, apart from a few tiles with a bit of lippage I am pretty pleased with the result. I guess a beige grout would be the way to go?

SPM_A0106.jpg

T

True Tiling

6mm? I'm presuming this a newly poor-build green chipboard? The real thing to look out for here is STABILITY and MOVEMENT. Place a glass of water at one end of the room and jump up and down on that green chipboard. If it makes the water shake, then don't tile this floor! Simple as that. If it doesn't, then lace it with min 9mm (I meant 25 mm) screwed down every 300mm centres and get it tiled!

- - - Updated - - -

6mm? I'm presuming this a newly poor-build green chipboard? The real thing to look out for here is STABILITY and MOVEMENT. Place a glass of water at one end of the room and jump up and down on that green chipboard. If it makes the water shake, then don't tile this floor! Simple as that. If it doesn't, then lace it with min 9mm (I meant 25 mm) screwed down every 300mm centres and get it tiled!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Reply to What surfaces to prime in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement