Search the forum,

Discuss What do you wear when pricing up? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concept PHT

And rocking up in your 'p' reg ford mondeo estate (complete with tools stacked in the back still), and having to borrow the customers pen doesn't help either.....

I

Ian

If I go in the way home, just what I've been wearing for work. If I go out to specifically see someone, I wear smart jeans and I have an embroidered t shirt that's never been worn for work so it's not caked in adhesive and silicone:D

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Depends when I go like bri .
On way home in my clay suit or at night in my jeans and t shirt.
I always go in my van now though, I once turned up on a Sunday to look at a job in the car, can't remember but I think it was a BMW X3,it was brand new anyhow, walked into price it , nice house in posh area, 1st thing he said was
" since when have plasterers been earning enough to have a car like that"
Did his head in it was newer than his merc , never got the job, even if I did I wouldn't have done it, can't stand snobs .

Q

Qwerty

If I go in the way home, just what I've been wearing for work. If I go out to specifically see someone, I wear smart jeans and I have an embroidered t shirt that's never been worn for work so it's not caked in adhesive and silicone:D

Ditto. Nice & professional with a clean van too :)

O

Old Mod

Very rarely quote on my way home, not always ready for it mentally, likely to be a bit stressed at the best of times. Especially if I've used public transport:D
I also have a 'thing' for NOT looking like a tiler. All too often u see guys caked in adhesive all up and down themselves, I'm sorry but that's just not me! I try not only to work clean but STAY clean too! Haha sorry if I'm offending anyone, but it's just the way I am! I struggle to see the need to get filthy dirty. I am talking generally by the way :) of course there are days when it's unavoidable, I realise that, normally when I step backwards into a bucket of sticky! Haha
Always dress smart for quotes and I'm already wearing overshoes before they open the door, that always goes down well.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Do most quotes on the way home covered in whatever I've been doing......they can choose a grout colour off my t-shirt.....lol

I think most customers like to see your an honest hard working tradesman.....and your reputation and what you say during the quote should win the job not what your waering...
Just my take on it...:)

I

Italy

oh my god what I have to read !!!! hahaha
when I go to the bank to ask for money, go much dirt and dust. by customers slightly sporco.ahahahh crazy

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nice to look decent enough but i think its more important for them to think that you know what you are talking about, a nice clean van doesnt cut it for me,tidy is ok

I

Ian

I turned up to start a job once and the homeowner said that he knew my work would be neat and tidy, I asked what made him say that and he relplied, because your van is spotless and your tools are clean. Only happened once but, it proves that 1st impressions are important.

Reply to What do you wear when pricing up? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen