Search the forum,

Discuss What do you wear when pricing up? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would consider the pricing up period to be in most cases, the first point of face-to-face contact so in most cases I would say the 'first impressions' count so in my own opinion I'd say I'd only want those to work for me who made the effort to, at the very least changed their shoes to a cleaner pair if not changed fully in to clean presentable clothes.

I wouldn't say a clip board and a new set of pens in the top pocket of a freshly iron tux is needed though :)

Anybody have thoughts or stories on this subject?

S

Smiths

Admin said:
I would consider the pricing up period to be in most cases, the first point of face-to-face contact so in most cases I would say the 'first impressions' count so in my own opinion I'd say I'd only want those to work for me who made the effort to, at the very least changed their shoes to a cleaner pair if not changed fully in to clean presentable clothes.

I wouldn't say a clip board and a new set of pens in the top pocket of a freshly iron tux is needed though :)

Anybody have thoughts or stories on this subject?
I agree with that if it's a quote given after work hours, but I think that some customers like to see that you have actually came from a job and not straight from your home.:)

View attachment 60970

L

L & R CERAMICS

it doesnt take much to make an impression,you can have your name stitched on to your work colours i.e polo shirts for about £9 notes per shirt maybe get everything colour co-ordinated

L

L & R CERAMICS

Would you wear different gear for pricing up to the gear you work in etc?
all of my work wear is co-ordinated and i find customers love it,you cant sit down and have a brew if you are covered in *****,we do our estimates on an evening anyway,i can sneak of to the battle cruizer{boozer} for a quick pint aswell ,hope the missus dont read this;)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DevonR

Very good topic this, I'd be interested to hear other peoples takes on this subject too.
We covered this kind of thing on the North East Training course and all pretty much agreed that there are certain things you can do to raise a customers appreciation of you and heighten the chance you have of securing the job in hand. Things like using those plastic over shoes like you get in new show homes when you go to see them. As L&R has said have some personalised work wear on to show your a real professional and not some pikey. Take off shoes at the door (should over shoes not be available). Wear cover/over alls during the day to keep your clothes clean so you can go straight to a quoatation from a job if need be.
I've just got my stationery back from the printers too (helps being a graphic designer by trade) which I think will go a long way to drive home the image of professionalism. Everything bears the company logo and is branded throughout. Just looks a lot better when a quote is sent out on letter headed paper than on a scrap or envelope back or similar. Quotes will also be sent out with a matching business card and comp slip to finish of the image.
Come on then let's have some more ideas.

L

L & R CERAMICS

its not crap admin ,its not your fault nobody else can pucker up and have a go ,i mean its not that hard to do what youve suggested wink wink i think nobody on here could do anything of that calibre of work manship

H

h0ndatyp3r

Getting back onto the thread, i remember reading about a survey that was done a couple of years ago. People were asked outside a trade/public exhibition, why they didn't buy on the day. Eighty One percent said the salesmans breath or hygiene was stinking.

Although there has been a few good ideas, i.e corporate logo on your clothing, shoe covers etc, a quick spray of the deodorant, brush of the teeth and hair (if you have any) would go a long way.

A kitchen company didn't get our business for the above reasons, plus they were too f***ing dear!!!

Colin

Reply to What do you wear when pricing up? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen