Search the forum,

Discuss weight question ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

i am not going to ask any of you fellas if you think i need to go on a diet as i already know the answer to that i just want to start a debate about the weight ratings of substrates ,skim plaster over plaster board 20kgs per sq m skim and set plaster 28kgs per sq m please correct me if i am wrong doing this off of memory plaster board 32kgs sand and cemant render 40kgs and cement backer board 50-60kgs my arguement- if the walls are plumb then the load bearing doesnt apply as theload is being transfered through the centre of gravity to the floor . please discuss

D

DHTiling

Well my opinion is that seen as your tiles are not exactly sitting on the floor ( tightly ) .i.e. you leave a small expansion gap at the bottom , then your tiles are infact hanging..( Dead weight ) so the weight issue does count as the substrate is holding the load.......will be interesting to hear others opinions on this......

Good question Gary........

W

White Room

I contacted british gypsum about a 50mm wall stud partition ( metal) and said I was going to apply to garage walls because of the piers in a garage so the walls would be flush and straight, They nearly lost it when I said that walls the would only be plasterboarded one side and said no, I have secured the studs to the piers so very solid. Like you mentioned gary the centre of gravity is down not sideways

ps Not the first time I've done metal.

pps First time on the tiler forums arms I take it that these posts do not appear on the regular forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

wayne

TF
Reaction score
just seen a job another tiler near me did 600x400 travertine. nice job but tiles were onto skim coat over artex. when i told the bloke i wouldnt have tiled it i thought he was going to collapse. he also paid about £75 sqm including mats for fitting

G

grumpygrouter

just seen a job another tiler near me did 600x400 travertine. nice job but tiles were onto skim coat over artex. when i told the bloke i wouldnt have tiled it i thought he was going to collapse. he also paid about £75 sqm including mats for fitting
I wouldn't have tiled it either!

G

Grace'sDad

Has anyone any first hand experience of weight-related failures though?

Or are we a tad paranoid in this area?

I've not been in the game long enough to see (or create) any disasters but I'd sure like to see some!

wayne

TF
Reaction score
i fitted 600x400 trav over skim about 3 years ago before i was clued up on safe weights. had no comeback so far but not willing to risk it again

G

GazTech

I know of a hairdressers salon having had failure, a large tile injured a customer and a hefty law suit ensued. The lady won the case and was rewarded huge damages.

C

charlie1

Just been going through old posts today as not very busy! I have always wondered about this very issue too. It would be interesting to set up an experiment, you could screw some plasterboard to some studs, then stick a 600x600 tile to it, then see how much weight you could hang on the tile until failure! bet it would be a lot more than 10 kgs

P

Peter

Often pondered this myself, seems logical. Then again, what tiler can honestly say they've never went over weight? :oops:

Reply to weight question ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen