Currently reading:
Weight of Porcelain

Discuss Weight of Porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

put up some 6mm hardie backer board on the walls..this will take the weight.

He did say his walls are plastered already mate. The weight of the hardi AND the porcelain tiles would be more than just the tiles alone in this case so it's not a fix using it. Or am I reading something wrong?

As long as you can machanicaly fix as well then that is an option....hardi will not work if no fixings used as it is adding weight as Dan stated.

D

DHTiling

pdf.gif
HardieBacker EN installation 200810 masonry walls.pdf

T

tfs

To the best of my knowledge Knuaf say that there aquapanel can be used with metal and timber studs, however, timber and metal studs are normaly spaced at 400mm centres on a stud wall however on some occasion you will find that this can be as much as 600mm with noggins/ dwangs centred in row roughly at the centre of the vertical studs which is realy not ideal as this leaves unsupported boards on an area of approx 1200mm x 360 (between all studs)

To add extra fixing at lower spaces you would realy need to rip off exiting sheeting and add extra framework to the partition adding an additional two noggins (one above centre noggin and one below) in between each vertical stud. This would give you extra fixings at smaller intervals and should give a far superior fixing to the stud work. I would preffer to use 12.5mm as it would be harder to come away from the studs than 6mm would.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazebo

Could i not just use normal plugs and screws with metal washers (stainless steel obviously)
where can you get the plastic washers etc.?

I have used the marmox plastic washers before on marmox board but they seem to still sit of the board a good 2/3mm once fixed, was i doing it wrong.?

The aquapanel thermal screws and washers are much better on marmox and wedi boards. don't know if the little reccessed bit in the middle of the washer will pull into hardibacker though.

Gary

Reply to Weight of Porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.