Search the forum,

Discuss wbp plywood in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

trevor1980

I'm tiling onto wbp ply with cement based adhesive, do I need to prime it first? and if yes could I get away with an sbr primer or should I be using a grit primer?

J

Just Rizzle

thought we have got away from using ply good luck if your giving a guarentee

T

trevor1980

thought we have got away from using ply good luck if your giving a guarentee
I am using it to overlay the walls in a kitchen splashback...After knocking off the old tiles it has taken massive chunks out of the plasterboard and the adhesive that is left behind is not coming off in a month of sundays...I thought the easiest thing for me to do to get a decent tilling surface would be to stick and screw some 5.5mm ply over the plasterboard...or is there an easier way?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
6mm plasterboard? Fix with plasterboard adhesive and screws into the frame?

What tiles are going on in the end? What's the weight of them?

T

trevor1980

6mm plasterboard? Fix with plasterboard adhesive and screws into the frame?

What tiles are going on in the end? What's the weight of them?
they've chosen 10x30 travertine...a little on the heavy side but im sure the ply will stand up to the weight as each section of ply is only half m2 maximum so won't have many tiles stuck to it.

S

Spare Tool

they've chosen 10x30 travertine...a little on the heavy side but im sure the ply will stand up to the weight as each section of ply is only half m2 maximum so won't have many tiles stuck to it.
Just walked away from 2 bathroom floors that have been overboarded with 6mm ply, do it right and use plasterboard or only guarantee you'll give is...it will fail!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score

Wbp IMO is unsuitable for your project , 9mm PB would be the easiest option for a splash back , no fixings required , just PB adhesive.

Reply to wbp plywood in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’ve got an old Victoria house with 20mm first floor floorboards. They’re in quite good...
Replies
Views
Hello, I assumed I could tile onto marine plywood and my tiles fell off ... I'm tiling on a...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, I'll be converting one of my upstairs bedrooms into an en-suite/wetroom and I want...
Replies
Views
John P
J
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen