Discuss Waterproofing options for new shower room in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Great thread - thanks for keeping us updated. Please show us all the finished job!
Thanks Lou.

Any suggestions as to what layers I need from the Wedi upwards (for a heated floor)?

I think the Wedi will serve as insulation and as a decoupling membrane from the subfloor. But I don't understand why they advise their 600mm glass-fibre reinforcement on floor panels. Presumably to further limit any movement...? But do I still need to use reinforcement if I am laying a heated floor - won't ditra-heat, or a self-adhesive heating mat, do the same thing?

And would you just stick down a self-adhesive heated mat (like warm-on), and set it in self-leveller, prior to tile... Or thinset down some ditra-heat, then self-leveller, then tile?

So my questions - (1) do I still need to use 600mm fibreglass reinforcement if I am laying a heated floor; and (2) would you advise a self-adhesive mat, or ditra-heat, on the cementacious face of the wedi?

Thank you..!

Reaction score
Things are coming along. I self-levelled over the 22mm marine ply floor (there was a bit of lippage between the 2 boards and I could afford to bring the height up a bit). The shower went in nicely once I had mortared in the wedi drain. First fix is done, I have panelled all around, I am not too far from tile now once the heating mat is down and embedded in self-leveller.

I may be overthinking this, but my remaining puzzle is around what to do with the heating mat over the shower tray (which is angled a few degrees for drainage). Do I make the self-leveller a bit thicker, use a rapid setting type, and keep scooping it up the hill (if it is running down) till it has begun to set? Or use an entirely different product (I have seen a 'pent' mortar that can be used to make inclines up to 10% e.g. as the mud in the base of a shower.

Could I use self-leveller on the flat floor and some mortar on the tray, then tile over the lot? Or better to use self-leveller throughout and I am worrying too much that it will level the shower tray (which clearly I don't want).

As I say, may be thinking too much here!

Thanks for any suggestions...

IMG_6157.jpg

Reaction score
Yes. I am thinking - self-love over the mat on the flat part. No leveller on the slope and just make up the height with thinset..?

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The entire floor is level, and you want to create a slope in the shower area? Thought you already pitched down the shower. You will have to rise up the entire floor to be able to get a pitch down in the shower area.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No… the floor is flat, the shower area is already sloped (a wedi riolito neo tray with a linear drain up against the wall).

I am putting a heating mat everywhere, including the shower area. And ideally I will bed it in a thin layer of self leveller. But I don’t want to do that on the shower area because I don’t want to level the slope!

I think the answer is: use self leveller on the flat floor (not to level, just to cover the heating mat prior to tiling) - and don’t use leveller on the tray, just make up the height with thinset. Ideally I don’t want a junction between the leveller and something else -beneath the tiles - but I can’t see a better way.

Someone must have put a mat on one of these trays….?!

Reaction score
Thank you. I already have the mat - but perhaps the answer is to embed in thinset and cover with membrane (wedi do a membrane too), so I have a flat and even surface to tile on. And I can use the same technique on the tray as I am not bothering with leveller.

Reaction score
In the end I put my Big Boy pants on, mixed up some rapid setting leveller, waited 5 minutes, poured it, and raked it back up the slope a few times till I was happy it had set.

I have so many layers going on already I decided against membrane. The mat and leveller are on 50mm wedi board so I am happy there is decoupling.

IMG_6204.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6227.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 20

Reply to Waterproofing options for new shower room in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks