Search the forum,

Discuss Uneven Floor - Help!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

CDS

Dear All, Have spent the last 3 days taking apart a travertine bathroom that is basically falling apart - the quality of prep and finishing is awful, an absolute shocker! Have already removed the shower, 2 walls and all the sanitaryware and started stripping the floor yesterday. Its 50/50 Floorboards and chipboard which had been overlaid with 6mm ply. I've removed the tiles and ply and am back to ply /chipboard. The join between the 2 surfaces is a highpoint in the middle of the floor - from middle to back there is a 6mm drop and from middle to front is approx 20mm - Tiles are large format travertine... the previous 'tiler' had built up an adhesive bed to nearly 20mm to get the floor reasonably flat but I'm not sure I fancy following the same method even if adhesive spec allowed. How on earth do I get this floor level?? Am thinking take up the ply and chipboard, laminating the joists with new battens and overlaying with 18mm ply - am I way off the mark? What would you do? Cheers Chris

S

Stef

Hi, if your taking it back to the joists then if you have a high point try & chop your high joists out.

Try not to take out too much & if you manage then brace the joists & add extra dwangs to strengthen.

C

CDS

Its a 1950's semi, bathroom was installed as part of an extension less than 5 years ago. The chipboard floor is part of the new extension and is straddling the old external wall. Haven't lifted the boards completely yet but levered one up and there appears to be an RSJ and lots of timbers running under the join in the floor. I might be able trim down some of the joists but don't think I'd be able to take out 20mm even if I felt inclined too!

S

Stef

Even if you could get 10mm out & add 10mm to the opposite end it would help you.

String line or straight edge the joists.

Strengthen the full floor when your at this stage..

Reply to Uneven Floor - Help!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen