Search the forum,

Discuss uncoupling membrane between limestone tiles and chipboard flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daveyboy

Hi guys...went to look at a job today, house refurb/extension..100m2 of 600x400 limestone tiles on solid floor over seven joining rooms (ground floor) and three ensuites with chipboard flooring (first floor)..Normally, I would lay 12mm plywood onto the ensuite floors (approx 3.5m2 each) then tile onto that but in this case I can't because the height change hasn't been allowed for and because the previous tiler who has been sacked (they call him lippy for obvious reasons) has already tiled the bathroom...it looks like he has tiled straight onto the chipboard but the main builder assures the client he primed the chipboard then laid a matting down then tiled onto that...

I've used the impey membrane and the dura WP matting before but never directly onto chipboard...

Is the impey membrane suitable to apply directly onto chipboard after it has been primed?

Is dura WP suitable given the small areas and if so, what flexi adhesive is suitable to use on chipboard?

Is there another product(s) I should use?

The client looks worn out from the building work and stress from the previous tilers' work, and I'd rather not add to it by using the wrong material.

B

brian c

PERSONALLY I WOULDNT AND DONT THINK ITS RECOMMENDED.wHY NOT USE 6MM HARDIEBACKER THEN MEMBRANE?or 9mm ply and 2 part flexi or hardie and 2 part flexi.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daveyboy

Hi Brian..the previous tiler has not left any allowance for any type of boarding to be laid between the chipboard and the tile...

I personally don't think he has used a membrane as I couldn't see it at the door threshold where the tiles stop..but I want to find out if I can use an uncoupling membrane on chipboard before I give the client the bad news...

B

brian c

im sure it will need over boarding first,due to debonding of adhesive from the chipboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

I have just read the spec again and it says that as long as the substrate can take the weight of the tiled area and it is sound enough then it can be used directly over chipboard and plywood.
As long as the substrate is capable of taking the weight of the tiled surface, Schlüter-DITRA can be applied directly to any existing timber -- including plywood and chipboard.

And even in older properties with butted planks, small gaps of around two millimetres between the joints can be successfully bridged with membranes such as Schlüter-DITRA without the need for fillers.

have a read at this....http://www.schluter.co.uk/2808.aspx

T

tfs

Hi Daveyboy,

Based on what Brian has just said I would ask the Joiner or builder to cut out the chipboard floor and add some extra noggings (Dwangs as we call them in Scotland) to ensure as close to zero deflection as possible and then he can put the chipboard back down screwed into the dwangs. Then install the matting.:thumbsup:

D

Daveyboy

Cheers Brian..that's good news..now all I need is an adhesive to secure the ditra mat to the chipboard...

W

White Room

Can't you use a vinyl adhesive for ditra, one local shop to me does one and schluter also supply there own make

B

brian c

Hi Daveyboy,

Based on what Brian has just said I would ask the Joiner or builder to cut out the chipboard floor and add some extra noggings (Dwangs as we call them in Scotland) to ensure as close to zero deflection as possible and then he can put the chipboard back down screwed into the dwangs. Then install the matting.:thumbsup:
This is also a good option for you.:thumbsup:

T

tfs

I remember ooking through some literature I got from Ardex and they reccomended one of there adhesives for Ditra matting. I will have a quick look to see if I can find this.

D

Daveyboy

Can't you use a vinyl adhesive for ditra, one local shop to me does one and schluter also supply there own make

Thanks Whitebeam..I have e-mailed the techinal guys at schluter to see if they can advise a suitable product..at the moment, their information on their website does not specify any particular product...

Reply to uncoupling membrane between limestone tiles and chipboard flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen