Search the forum,

Discuss UFH and Ditra matting in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brad

I have worked for a tiling company that installed UFH, the Warmup type, over Ditra matting. However, there seem to be views that doing so is not a good idea....the theory is that the wire heats up and melts the Ditra??.........could anyone enlighten me on this?

B

Brad

thanks for your reply.........another question.....if there is no risk of melting the Ditra, then what would be wrong with installing the UFH on top of the Ditra?

B

Brad

forgive me, but I don't understand..........the felt-like layer on the underside of the matting is the decoupling membrane.........the top side, by virtue of its design, allows the tile to lock into the matting as the addy shapes to the recesses of the matting.....there surely isn't any decoupling action between the topside of the matting and the tile ??

S

Stewart

forgive me, but I don't understand..........the felt-like layer on the underside of the matting is the decoupling membrane.........the top side, by virtue of its design, allows the tile to lock into the matting as the addy shapes to the recesses of the matting.....there surely isn't any decoupling action between the topside of the matting and the tile ??

Your right, but if you introduce the heat mat on top of the Ditra, your creating an area of greater lateral stress rendering the Ditra less effective. If the heat mat is under the Ditra, then you allow the product to do it's job properly allowing the tile to heat up at a different rate to the substrate.

B

Brad

thanks for the link mate..........didn't come across it when on their website earlier.....good diagrams...worth bookmarking...top man!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping this thread. If it's not a current topic then don't worry about it for now. Other threads like this can be found in the main tiling forum. If you do want to reply to it, please do. Your information may add value to somebody reading the forum in the future.

Reply to UFH and Ditra matting in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen