Search the forum,

Discuss trowels for porcelain wall & floor tiles..confused & worn out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dunner

Hi all ,
As a beginner i have being trying to learn about correct trowels , but so much info & so many choices , i give up & have to ask specific questions.hope someone can help..I am buying 490x490 polished porcelain tiles for ensuite walls & floor (tiling around shower walls also) + some 300x300 mosaic tiles for decorative strip in shower .
I am using ditra for floors & kerdi for shower walls.Which type trowels should i use for each application .Schluter have given trowel info about adhering their product to substrate but i cannot choose trowels for the tiling , the more i read the more choices there seems to be .Also I have been given a couple of second hand trowels but dont know how to measure what size they are ? Is their any online handbook out there to match trowel shape & depth, to size of tile & type of substrate ?? any help at all please . thanks

W

White Room

Your wall and floor tiles and depending the flatness of your walls I would use a 10mm trowel with that size tile and back skim the tile as well.

2020Tiling

hi m8! i no its a daft question but wen u or anyone else for that matter say skim the back of the tile , do you mean lightly skim the back of the tile like 2mm worth of addy ? or serrate the back with the trowel as you would also do with the floor/wall ? sorry if iam sounding rediculous . also while on the subject of rediculous questions ! (flat bed trowels) ? iam i right in thinking this is the square noched ones ? not half circle ones if you no wot i mean ! :lol:

F

Fekin

Skim the back of the tile with the flat edge of the trowel, so it's like a 2mm solid coating of adhesive, then that will help you get as close to full coverage as possible.

Reply to trowels for porcelain wall & floor tiles..confused & worn out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen