Discuss Travetine repairs in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ORTiling

[FONT=&quot]Hi everyone.

Wondering if you can help, I have to do a few repairs on a Travertine floor that was laid 2 years ago.

Basically there is cracking in the screed through the doorways which as cracked the travertine tile on top, the tiles were lad on a fiberus screed but no threshold or expansion gaps were added in the doorways to allow for moment/cracking.

Just wondering the best way to get the cracked old tiles out without damaging the good tiles next to them. These are very soft cheap filled Trav 500x300 I think.

I’m not allowed to use a grinder, so was going to very carefully use a hammer and bolster and a few blades and scrapers.

Any other ideas chaps?
[/FONT]

D

DHTiling

Are the tiles loose..?

Are the cracks in straight lines..?... you could try and widen the gap with the likes of a fein with cutting blade and insert a cold joint..

D

DHTiling

OK..

Easiest way is to remove the grout from around each tile to be removed.. then crack up with a hammer into small bits and then clean out the base... If you leave the grout in then the shock from breaking the tiles can spread to surrounding tiles and crack them as well..

O

ORTiling

Thanks Dave,

It was the presure of the grout onto the existing good tiles I was worried about.
What is the best way to remove the grout safely with out using a grinder? I think C2 grout was used.

O

ORTiling

I dont Whitebeam but Ive just been looking at those, fein looks perfect for this job, trouble is the job is booked for this wednesday:(

D

DHTiling

B and Q do the bosch version( pmf180) and that will suffice for this quick repair and if you like it then maybe upgrade to the fein later..

D

DHTiling

Bosch PMF180E All Rounder, 3165140337281

you will have to buy the grout removal blade on top..

Last edited by a moderator:
O

ORTiling

Damn, cant seem to find the removal blade on the B&Q website, will give the m a call tomorrow and see what they have

O

ORTiling

Thanks Dave, might be worth going for the Fien and be done with it, will report back with how Ive got on :)

O

ORTiling

Ordered the Fein today from tiletrader.com, should have it on site tomorrow lunch time!
Im actualy getting quite excited about about the new arrival:lol:

Reply to Travetine repairs in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay