Search the forum,

Discuss travetine and weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steve_c

Hi all,

I looked at a job last week that was to tile a bathroom with travetine, tile size 400x300 roundabout, by 12mm thick
The walls were mostly 9mm ply with I think 6 mm no more ply over that as well, all screewed to studs. One of the existing walls was plaster and I was concearned about the weight restrictions of the stone onto this surface.

Is the bs tile weight limit of 20kg per mtr on plaster walls inclusive of the adhesive or is it the weight limit of the tile only?

What weight would you include roughly for a cement adhesive per mtr?

Also what notch is best, I was thinking of using 10 or 12 mm square notch and back buttering.

Any advice appreciated so I can prepare for this job.

Steve

O

Olz

The weight rating for skim plaster onto plaster board is 20KG/m2. I would allow 2KG/m2 for grout and 4KG/m2 for adhesive. :thumbsup:

B

brian c

im with Oli ,and i think a 10mm round notch would be fine but 12mm if you are in any doubt.:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

That depends on the weight of the tiles. You will need to weigh them and check. It may be written on the box too.

M

MICK the Tiler

The walls that are plywood to 15mm thick would be fine, I doubt you could get much stronger. For the other plaster wall then yes as grumps says you will have to weigh your tiles and allow for glue and grout, this wall may well need to be plywood as well.

W

wetdec

If your tiling over ply then you should consider a membrane to stop any cracking when it shrinks expands. Use a flexible powder adhesive or a tile on wood paste, fix durabase wp over the top then your travertine...........

That should be cool for you

Tiler:thumbsup:

S

steve_c

Thanks for all the replies everyone,

If using no more ply cement board over normal ply, is this not a moisture proof barrier? or potentially will it lead to cracking??

I'm not sure its marine ply under the no more ply? probably not.
He's tanking all shower areas with the paint and tape kits.

I won't be starting the job for a while but he said he would re board any walls if in doubt. I hav'nt been able to weigh the tiles but to be on the safe side I'll tell him to dry line without skim or no more ply like the rest on the existing wall.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to travetine and weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen