Currently reading:
Travertine tiles on wooden floor...to do or not to do?

Discuss Travertine tiles on wooden floor...to do or not to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Redwing

Hello Guys

My first post here. My husband and I are doing a big barn conversion project. We laid travertine tiles downstairs on a screed base with underfloor heating and it looks fantastic! We have some left over tiles and want to use them on an upstairs bathroom. The base is chipboard screwed to joists and it has underfloor heating as well. We plan to use flexible adhesive and grout. Will this work? Should we seal the floor first and if so with what? Does it need a membrane under the tiles and if so what should it be?

D

DHTiling

Hi , you need to determine if the floor is suitable for tiling. This will be to check in there is any deflection in the floor , this needs sorting if so.

Simply applying Hardibacker will not combat any bounce.

Once that is sorted, then yes over board
If the floor is small then IMO hardibacker will suffice but if over say 8 Mtrs , then as neale , I would hardi and anti-crack membrane.

R

Redwing

Thanks for all the replies. Having looked into and considered the options this is what we've decided: going to use a 6mm cement board, like Hardibaker (probably the one Topps sells) and use flexible adhesive and grout. We looked at Ditra and decided that it would probably insulate the floor which we don't want to do as the underfloor heating pipes are already under the floor and we don't want to loose heat by then putting on an insulation layer. Does that make sense? Is it really necessary to screw the board down every 100mm?

R

Rookery

I mean the over-boarding. BS states, amongst other things, a minimum of 15mm ply overlay over a timber floor. When using a backer board such as Hardie, it should be 10mm thick although I'm not sure if this is specifically covered in BS. However if you phone the Mapei or BAL tech support, neither would warrant their adhesive on a 6mm backer board. I cant speak of other manufacturers cos I dont use others. Thats not to say your spec/method wont work, I'm just saying its risky. The cost of putting right a failure is usually much higher than the initial cost of a better spec.

D

DHTiling

I dont disagree and I often use 6mm Hardie on a timber floor that I have judged to be solid enough. It doesnt alter the fact that if there was a failure, BAL for example, would disclaim all responsibility.

Now that i agree with.. :lol:

But so would any adhesive comp really... when it comes down to it.. fixer error will always get the blame.. so best to do what you know works.. simples.. :)

Reply to Travertine tiles on wooden floor...to do or not to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.