Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine tiles on wooden floor...to do or not to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Redwing

Hello Guys

My first post here. My husband and I are doing a big barn conversion project. We laid travertine tiles downstairs on a screed base with underfloor heating and it looks fantastic! We have some left over tiles and want to use them on an upstairs bathroom. The base is chipboard screwed to joists and it has underfloor heating as well. We plan to use flexible adhesive and grout. Will this work? Should we seal the floor first and if so with what? Does it need a membrane under the tiles and if so what should it be?

C

cncceramics

I would NEVER tile on chipboard, over board the chip board with Haribacker tile board 6mm. Secure the board using Haribaker screws also one every 100mm, or until the movement in floor has stopped. Scrim tape the joints and seal with the flexible adhesive, the tile using the the flexible adhesive. I always seal the travertine before grouting and after it has dried as well.

G

Gazzer

I always use ditra or Dural on wood floors with stone tiles. Belt and braces is my approach.

D

DHTiling

Hi , you need to determine if the floor is suitable for tiling. This will be to check in there is any deflection in the floor , this needs sorting if so.

Simply applying Hardibacker will not combat any bounce.

Once that is sorted, then yes over board
If the floor is small then IMO hardibacker will suffice but if over say 8 Mtrs , then as neale , I would hardi and anti-crack membrane.

R

Rookery

I too would overboard with Hardie and fix Ditra. How is this floor heated? If you're planning on fitting heating mat or cable onto the floor, you may want to consider insulation boards rather than Hardie for its insulation properties. Bear in mind any 6mm overlay will not suffice in the eyes of some adhesive manufacturers.

R

Redwing

Thank you for the replies. The Hardibaker looks like good stuff to use. The area is only about 5 sq metres and there is no bounce, well not that I notice. The underfloor heating is a wet system with plastic piping.

I googled around and Hardibaker looks like it is readily available but where do you get Ditra from?

Reaction score
Correct me if i am wrong but “The base is chipboard screwed to joists and it has underfloor heating as well” “The underfloor heating is a wet system with plastic piping” I haven’t came across a wet floor heating system with chipboard screwed to joists they are normally floating floors personally I wouldn’t tile it

T

Topshop

I would use cement board like durarock instead of hardybacker. Hardybacker is more fibrous and will not pass the heat as well as cement board.

R

Redwing

Thanks for all the replies. Having looked into and considered the options this is what we've decided: going to use a 6mm cement board, like Hardibaker (probably the one Topps sells) and use flexible adhesive and grout. We looked at Ditra and decided that it would probably insulate the floor which we don't want to do as the underfloor heating pipes are already under the floor and we don't want to loose heat by then putting on an insulation layer. Does that make sense? Is it really necessary to screw the board down every 100mm?

Reply to Travertine tiles on wooden floor...to do or not to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen