Discuss Trav on plaster board walls in Bathroom? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

Hi, I've got a trav job too price up wall and floors in a bathroom and the customer has got large format trav for his bathroom but most of the walls are plaster boarded and his floor is floor boards that will need over boarding. would 18mm ply be ok for the floor? and would I have to over board walls? Cheers! :smilewinkgrin:

T

Time's Ran Out

I wouldn't suggest 18mm plywood and the plasterboard should be unskimmed to take the weight!
Good luck.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Better off lifting the floorboards, fix 18mm minimum wbp ply primed under side and edges and then over board that with a backer board. The plasterboard walls will need either ripping off and fix a backer board or overboard as you say.

M

m3fitter

skimmed p/board is only 20kg per sq.metre, unskimmed 32kg, if large format could be 18-20mm trav ! then reboard with aquapanel cement board to take the weight, the floor can be ditra'd if boards are solid and true, or if floorboards are unsound and loose, either screw them securely and glue & screw aquapanel to create a better tiling substrate and create rigidity, or the full monty, remove floorboards and put down 25mm wbp ply, remember to always prime wood with acrylic primer.. ;-) hope it helped !

2020Tiling

Thank's for your input :) The plaster board walls are un skimmed but have what looks like gloss paint on under the wall paper that is currently on. Is it a must too fit an uncouple membrane on the floor with this job? as I thought the un couple membrane only works with separate substrates and not deflection?

M

m3fitter

i've used ditra for 8 years now, switching from aquapanel, never had a call back, a failure, no grout ever has cracked on a wooden floor, tiled with thin limestone, travertine, marble... just make sure the existing substrate is secure....and use your judgement... i offer a 5 year guarantee on all my work, and am happy to use uncoupling on wooden substrates, and now on all UFH substrates as per BS !!

Reply to Trav on plaster board walls in Bathroom? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay