Search the forum,

Discuss To Prime Or Not To Prime in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish dave

Hi all, would you prime green grade plaster board, and what do you think off topps flexi powder addesive is it any good :huh2:

W

White Room

With moisture resistant board, British Gypsum reccomend it's pva'd before it's skimmed I would prime and the flexi from topps seems good, really creamy.

G

grumpygrouter

Depends what addy you are using. I am using White Star straight onto the stuff at the moment.

If i was using bagged stuff, I would have primed.

S

sWe

The answer on wether or not to prime on what substrates, is really simple: read the specs on the bag/tub of adhesive... If it doesn't say, it's almost certain that it's a crap adhesive.

C

cornish dave

hi i prime and use bagged its nice to know what others think never to old to learn thanks

G

grumpygrouter

never prime plaster board always use cement based :pete
It is interesting that BAL stipulate to prime plasterboard with APD if using cement adhesive but Ardex specify no primer required for their cement based addy's!

D

dock

hi

generally no priming required on plasterboard;

for ready mixed adhersive - will slow down set time......can be quite dramatic
for cement based ..........there is no calcium sulphate to isolate .....fixing to paper

purpose of priming plaster with primer G in our case, but use a good quality acrylic.........and NOT PVA, is to isolate cement from the calcium sulphate in the plaster. If in contact it can lead to the formation of ettringite (calcium sulpho aluminate hydrate). These crystals grow with time and have been known to force tiling off the wall.

dock

Reply to To Prime Or Not To Prime in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen