Currently reading:
Tling over old tile adhesive

Search the forum,

Discuss Tling over old tile adhesive in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
If you really believe the old adhesive is the problem, then leaving it as your substrate probably isn't the best idea.. When you say standard adhesive, are we talking non-flexible? Or a standard flexi? If you can get more details, maybe we can be a little more help. I tile on Ply floors occasionally with standard flexi rapid, and rarely have problems.. Saying that, when I have had a problem it's been to do with the Ply shrinking, not the adhesive. Are you tiling a ply floor, or wall?

How much prep does this surface need before re tiling? Will the new tiles adhere properly if old adhesive is left behind?

I think the actual question is, do I have to scrape up all the old adhesive, or can I just go over it??

Dunno, we can't see how good or bad it is. Maybe a picture might help?
A scraper with a blade on it should be able to tackle it..

What does the Tiler say about it?? Is he happy with the prep??

R

rich hand

If the Fastflex cracks I have already advised the owners that the joists should have been strengthened and that 15mm ply (not 6mm) should have been put down. They want to trial this situation rather than remove the bathroom suite, especially since it is hardly costing them anything.

Maybe the old adhesive was flexible standard or simply standard non flexible we do not know. However, it has stuck to the ply well just not the ceramic tiles. Since it has stuck to the ply well I was wondering if it really needed to be removed. It does scrape off if necessary though. There is only a couple of mm depth of adhesive.

The ply is on floor boards beanz.

On this job, I am acting as the tiler, I have done much work with stone floor maintenance including tiling, just not tiling on board.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
If it was not modified it would probably not have stuck to the porcelain tile at all. Personally I would not be happy tiling on to 6mm ply and would be advising taking the ply out of the equation.
Can’t understand why the ply can’t be removed it would not take much effort to lift 6mm ply and replace with backer board

To be fair, that's been explained. Customer wants to try and fix tiles without ripping up the floor 1st. Upto them if they want to throw good money after bad..
Rich, have you tried getting the adhesive off the tiles yet?

Reply to Tling over old tile adhesive in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement