Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Tips: Is there a weight limit when tiling a wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
When undertaking any tiling project one of the key considerations must be whether the wall can take the weight of the tiles.

More...

Tiling Tips by TTA.

Y

ythan

please can you explain the reasoning behind the weight limit? What happens if the limit is exceeded?

Y

ythan

so, no-one has any explanation of the reasoning behind the weight limit 'rules'?
some folk should surely know.
the single word answer given so far (ie gravity) is rather trivial......1 out of 10.

G

Gazzer

Not sure what you mean about explanation ?

Weight limits for skimmed walls is what British Gypsum say is the max weight that should be fastened to the wall in surface contact before the skim could pull away from the backing plaster or board.

B

Bubblecraft

As Neale said above. You exceed that weight limit, gravity takes over. Down comes your tiles along with the wall! Bit self explanatory.

Y

ythan

thanks to all for coming back. Just to try to take it a bit further....

Consider the situation where the tiles are first laid on the wall and the adhesive is still 'wet'. If you remove the spacers too early the tiles slide down under gravity to close the gaps but they don't fall off. And the wall doesn't fall down.

So assuming the wall is vertical and tiling is started at the bottom of the wall (i.e. tiles supported on the floor), I'm thinking that most of the weight ( the effect of gravity) will be transferred down through the tiles. The adhesion of the skim is then necessary just to keep the tiles vertical.....i.e. provide side support..... rather than supporting all their weight.

I can see poor quality skim, and poor bedding (& vertical alignment) of the tiles would be important, the heavier the tiles......is this maybe what British gypsum are guarding against?

The current rules are very restrictive, ruling out the usage of most modern larger format tiles, and requiring replacement of the skimed wall?

So what would you do faced with skimed kitchen walls and task of installing 300*600 porcelain tiles?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't be putting that size/format of tile on a kitchen splashback. However, what is the weight per square metre of the tiles you are considering.

Reply to Tiling Tips: Is there a weight limit when tiling a wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Article
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen