Currently reading:
Tiling Tips: Is there a weight limit when tiling a wall?

Discuss Tiling Tips: Is there a weight limit when tiling a wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

ythan

thanks to all for coming back. Just to try to take it a bit further....

Consider the situation where the tiles are first laid on the wall and the adhesive is still 'wet'. If you remove the spacers too early the tiles slide down under gravity to close the gaps but they don't fall off. And the wall doesn't fall down.

So assuming the wall is vertical and tiling is started at the bottom of the wall (i.e. tiles supported on the floor), I'm thinking that most of the weight ( the effect of gravity) will be transferred down through the tiles. The adhesion of the skim is then necessary just to keep the tiles vertical.....i.e. provide side support..... rather than supporting all their weight.

I can see poor quality skim, and poor bedding (& vertical alignment) of the tiles would be important, the heavier the tiles......is this maybe what British gypsum are guarding against?

The current rules are very restrictive, ruling out the usage of most modern larger format tiles, and requiring replacement of the skimed wall?

So what would you do faced with skimed kitchen walls and task of installing 300*600 porcelain tiles?

W

White Room

Is this formula of 20kg a meter on skimmed walls using a sledge hammer to crack a nut?

I can see the reasoning behind the post by ythan above in as much as the force would be downwards and not sideways.

Has anybody ever seen tiles fall of the wall due to weight issues, tiles that have been adhered properly with a suitable adhesive?

This is a job I tiled and was plastered by a plasterer, not me I might add, I pulled off a tile because it was'nt sitting right and pulled off the skim coat.
It depends how good the plastering is.
Bad Plastering 002.jpg

Y

ythan

thanks for the photo, whitebeam. yes, looks like poor plastering - the skim coat looks very thick. Probably even thin tiles would have had a problem here.

i think the photo illustrates the need to check out the plaster for soundness, maybe even do a trial tile fixing to check the plaster. i still think the normally adopted weight rules are over restrictive and can result in a lot of unnecessary cost & work.

the weight rules don't stop problems with poor plastering.

W

White Room

be very interested to learn how you sorted it out.

All the tiles had to be ripped off, the only good thing is the tiles had only just been fixed so the easily removed.

All loose areas of plaster had to be removed and tiles cleaned, the room looked like a bomb site and I spent about 2 hours cleaning up, the customer was'nt impressed.

Pva and reskimmed where was required and left to dry, job delayed waiting plaster to dry out.

W

White Room

thanks whitebeam, just another couple queries for learning:

how did you satisfy yourself that other the areas of skimmed plaster were sound?
i assume the tile weight was within the weight rules, but if it wasn't, what would you have then done?

I scraped another area with a scraper and found that loose as well which I removed, there was some plaster undercoat on the the lower areas which was solid but higher parts of the plastering was suspossingly been pva'ed and skimmed...not on your life.

The worrying part was where the plaster was being pulled off the wall was where the bath was going to be, for some reason the client preferred that the bath was fitted after the tiling.

Reply to Tiling Tips: Is there a weight limit when tiling a wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.