Discuss Tiling over DAMP plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aztectiler

I am looking for confirmation on a potential problem.

I have a plumber that I work for that wants me to tile around a bath area, not usually a problem, same here i thought untill I went to see the job.

The plaster skim is not dry, still damp in places. My plumber has said that if I was to use a flexible cementicious adhesive then this should overcome the problem. :mad2:

I have ALWAYS insisted on plaster skim being dry and never before done this process he is advising as I understand it the tiles will fall off.

The walls ar solid and skimmed one wall is skimmed plasterboard.

Seems a daft question but any help would be appreciated.

A

Aztectiler

Sorry Dan,

I dont think I explained things very clearly.

These walls are damp because they are newly plastered and skimmed, the damp skim is not due to water ingress through damaged tiles or grout.

D

david campbell

no way! you must leave until totally dry,1mm per day drying time unless you want to return and find your tiles(and the plaster on the floor)

R

Rad2474

Maybe you should ask the plumber how flexi cement adhesive will overcome the problem,does it have magical properties.Stick to what you know that it should be dry cos if it goes wrong it'll be your fault for doing it because you know it should be dry.

D

davy_G

THe skim usually dries pretty quick.
Where the walls bonded out first or scratch coated. Maybe this is what is still wet and causing the skim to look damp. If thats the case then there would be too much moisture needing to evaporate and you woulod be wise not to tile it just yet....even with cement based flexi.

If its just the skim is fresh, then by Monday it should have dried out well.
When was it skimmed? Is there heating on in the house?

What type of tile is it, ie how heavy?
Too late now but if the where scratched then you could have tiled direct onto it.:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why is a plumber telling a tiler hopw to tile and moreover why is a tiler listening to him. I am not a tiler but I know that the skim needs to be dry......

B

brian c

Why is a plumber telling a tiler hopw to tile and moreover why is a tiler listening to him. I am not a tiler but I know that the skim needs to be dry......
took the words right out my mouth,dont listen to the plumber m8,the skim needs to be dry as Davey says.

H

heavytrevy

If you need to give it a hurry up , use a heat gun on it. dont go crazy with it tho

Trev

D

DHTiling

Dehumidfier is the quickest route...make sure the windows in the room are shut or it will just pull moisture from outside..:thumbsup:

A

Aztectiler

Cheers guys.

I knew all along just wanted reassurance.

Thanks again :hurray: :thumbsup::hurray: :thumbsup::hurray::thumbsup: :hurray:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Couple of red rads and dehumidifier.

M

mags

Don't try and use direct heat on it, it will crack let it dry naturally dehumidifier as said and heating on at room temp. Should only take a day or two :thumbsup:. Tell the plumber to cap off his pipes with chewing gum :thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
If you want to speed up the drying process, use a fan as well as the de-humidifier. Point the fan at the wall, so it encourages/forces the moisture out of the plaster. ;)

Reply to Tiling over DAMP plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks