Discuss Tiling outdoors advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LM

So basically theres no need to waterproof the concrete substrate? Is this correct
That’s correct, there’s no need to water proof a concrete patio. The whole concern is avoiding water pooling or gathering in a volume that when it freezes starts the process of expanding and forcing the tiles to break from the adhesive. The first ‘gap’ created gets bigger and when the second freeze occurs this problem gets bigger and so on and so on until there is a failure, so the emphasis is on draining the water away so as to prevent this in the first place.

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Guys after extensive research ive found out maybe I dont need ditra drain .
Check out this video

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I spent £700 that was for 50 m off ditra drain for what seems to be just an extreme version of ditra mat

D

Dumbo

Ditra drain actually allows water to drain from underneath the tile instalation so infact does not allow water to gather . So i can see what you are saying but it does extra .

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah it's a serious topic because so many outdoor work is compromised by the weather conditions in this country and too many installers put too much trust in the adhesive they use

Reply to Tiling outdoors advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks